Surrender

Chapter 8: Surrender

"What is this?" Knightwalker leaned against the wooden support of her seat. She found herself in the middle of the rowdy mess hall of the castle because she needed a place that could drown out her muddled thoughts. She looked back to yesterday; to a conversation she shouldn't have been eavesdropping on.

~~ "What are you saying Byro? I am able to handle my personal affairs." Byro wheezed out a heavy a sigh. "I understand your Majesty. However, continuing the royal line should be his Majesty's top priority. Now that our kingdom has once again reached its stability, perhaps now is the time where you should be thinking of settling down and plan for your future, milord."

She could hear the King sighing. "Is that so? Then, all is solved, Byro. There's no need for your constant badgering. It will take awhile, but I assure you, I have found my Queen. She's stubborn and never listens to you. Her aloofness makes her unapproachable and cold, but I know she has a kind heart. As of now, she sees me as a King, the ruler of this kingdom, but I want her to see me as a man, Jellal. I've chosen her and she is my future."

"Ahh, you are talking about…Very well, milord." The stout, bald-headed man made a loud, sucking, gurgle before speaking again. "I suppose if it's her, then all I can do is wait for everything to come to place." ~~

She tapped her fingers on the table. Something was gnawing on her stomach and there was this strange pressure in her chest that felt like someone was constantly stacking piles of unnecessary weight on her. "Maybe I had eaten something and now it is disagreeing with me." Surely the news that the King had already found his future Queen couldn't be the cause of this, but why did his words keep replaying in her mind like a broken record? At this rate, no amount of noise in the world could overpower the thoughts racing through her head.

I want her to see me as a man, Jellal. A vein popped on her forehead over the remembrance of his words. She smashed her fist against the table. Knightwalker immediately stood up when the table finally cracked from the incessant abusing it had been receiving. A sudden burst of outrage, over this? What is going on, Knightwalker? She eyed the soldiers murderously when they were caught staring at her. Soldiers in the area seemed to have been curiously looking at their Captain, before she threw one of her infamous glare towards their direction.

Several feet away, Sugar Boy and Hughes had been observing Captain Knightwalker for over two hours. Fortunately for them, they stayed undetected from the vigilant eyes of the Captain. "Sugar Boy, I'm no doctor, but we can clearly agree that talking to yourself is not normal, right? Am I right?" The blonde-haired man nodded in agreement. "Hmmm…" Hughes poked a fork in a sweet roll with disinterest. "Maybe we should go talk to her." He muttered in concern, without adding his usual "amazing" catchphrase. "That should be the case, shouldn't it Hughes, but let her be for now." The raven haired Captain sighed dejectedly. "I guess you're…Sugar Boy! She's not there anymore!"

"This will soon disappear." Knightwalker was so lost in her thoughts that she wasn't fully cognizant of her current surroundings. "Captain." A voice called out, but she was too preoccupied and lost her bearings. She bumped against something solid and warm. "Are you all right? I rarely see you absent-minded." She looked up to see the King looking at her worriedly. He placed a gentle hand on his Captain's shoulder. Politely, she said, "I'm fine your Majesty." She shoved his hand. "There is something that requires my attention. Excuse me." She managed to slither away from him, before he could begin his prodding. The King arched his brow in question.

"Hey, milord!" He heard Hughes' voice from the direction Knightwalker came from. "Have you seen Erza anywhere?" Hughes squatted down in front down his King, panting tiredly. He and Sugar Boy was out of breathe from chasing the redheaded Captain and they still haven't caught up with her. "What has happened to her?" The Captains shrugged. "As if we know." They said simultaneously. Knowing that he will not get any more information here, the King decided that the best solution is to ask her directly.

A week.

A week of dodging the headstrong King's perusals and inquisitions were starting to wear her down"Captain!" Speaking of which, here he comes, again. She did an about-face and speed-walked forward, without looking back. "Erza!" His pleading voice gradually died out as the distance between them lessened. She entered her quarters and closed the door. "Why am I avoiding him?" Without a warning, a hand rammed against her door, barely missing her head by a few inches."Why indeed, Captain." A coarse, humorless voice emerged from behind. She spun around. How did he arrive here before me?

Jellal fenced her body on either side with his arms, and hovered above her. She was trapped between his taller frame and the door.

"King, what can I do for you?"

"Is there a reason as to why you are avoiding me, Captain?" Knightwalker wasn't used to this side of the King. His brows were scrunched down dangerously, his lips marred with a frown. He was, for better words, pissed off. "No reason." He released the locks that caged around her, but remained standing in his position. He bowed his head down. "Was there something I had done? You have never deliberately shied away from your King before, so was there a deed that left you truly angry with me?" Sadness disfigured his striking features. "Angry? I bear no anger towards you, King. There was a matter that bothered me, however, I have no right to snoop."

He blinked. "Snoop? On who?"

Shamelessly, I overheard an exchange you had with Byro, about your future." He blinked for a second time. "You heard that? OH…oh." Snoop, huh? She has every right to snoop, considering it does pertain to her.

"Since it's unavoidable…who is she? The next Queen, that is. I know every single acquaintance you have, but I haven't a clue as to the identity of your mystery woman. I've run the list dry, and it gnawed at me. Honestly, I was just too embarrassed to confront you on the matter. " He blinked the third time. "You haven't a clue?" His shoulders began to tremble. When he couldn't contain it any longer, he burst into laughter. She cocked her head to the side. "Why are you laughing?" He gravitated towards the flummoxed Captain and embraced her. "Your Majesty, this is highly inappropriate. You're in my quarters." Once his outburst subsided to a mere chuckle, he whispered, "I can only surrender to you."

"Pardon?"

He pulled away. "I will tell you another time. A proper time."