Heat

Chapter 10: Heat

Captain Knightwalker turned around for the second time. Why does it feel like someone is following me? She stopped for a minute, and then carried on forward. It was late into the night and the castle halls shouldn't have anyone wandering around, except for the occasional night guards that roam the castle. The light of the lantern flickered in her hand and a cold draft from an opened window caused her to shiver. Knightwalker pulled the scarf on her neck a little higher and raised the hood of her winter coat. Winter had arrived and although there wasn't any snow, the freezing temperature was enough incentive to stay in the cozy sheets of a bed and never get up, but she couldn't do that. She had to get up and do something, anything to keep her blood pumping. The hallway diverged to the right and she took the turn, exiting the castle foyer and into a separate adjacent building that the soldiers used as a training area.

That feeling that she was being shadowed surfaced again, but she didn't turn around. Instead, she resumed her pace and walked inside, but kept the front doors slightly ajar, as an open invitation. She flipped a switch and at the center, the hanging light buzzed open. It was cordial in room and warm enough for her to peel off the outer layers that burdened her during the cold season. Walking towards the racks of training weapons, she unhooked one of the spears from the wall. The spear was a little lighter than she was used too, but it was workable. She had to be careful not break this one, if she didn't want to repeat what had happened last time. Knightwalker decided on a five-minute warm-up session, before she could get her actual exercises underway.

"That should do it." She swung at the air, pretending there was an imaginary opponent that faced her in combat. "Heh?" Her actions halted mid-swing and her eyes narrowed. A soft creak of the door invaded her senses and reflexively threw the spear into the wooden sliding doors. It pierced through its flimsy frame and whoever was behind it, released a low yelp. The weapon was pulled out and she slid it open. Enraged brown eyes glared down at the intruder. Eyes blinked with bewilderment. What is he doing here?

"King? Were you the one I've been sensing all this time?" She brutishly seized his collar, like a common gangster bullying her next unsuspected prey. "Captain Knightwalker, I can explain." The lock she had on him vanished, but she glowered at him dangerously. "Very well, but it better be good." He walked in with her. She crossed her arms and waited. The only sound that remained was the impatient tapping of a foot, courtesy of the female Captain. "You see…ma'am." The King politely started. "Sugar Boy had told me that you were going out at odd times during nightfall, and worry filled me. I thought…I simply jumped to conclusions."

Her brow arched up. "Sugar Boy, you say? He had the same inquiry and I merely informed him that I was training out here. He didn't state that to you?" He shook his head. "Really, King. If you wanted to know, asking would be better next time. I have no reason to hide this." The blue-haired King sighed in relief and smiled. "Yes, but my short adventure was a little fun." She scoffed. "Until your head almost got chopped off." A smile creased his lips from her comment.

Eventually, the minutes rolled by, and the absence of words left an awkward silence in the atmosphere. Hmmm, what to do now. Looking around the dimmed room, the assortments of weapons on the wall caught his attention. "Say, Captain. While we're at it…" He unclasped a dull training blade from its place."…Why don't we have a sparring match?"

"His Majesty has some knowledge of swordplay?"

"I am a man of many trades." The Captain declined his offer at first. "Do you fear of loosing to your King?" The taunt yielded no reaction from her. "One match. That is all I ask." She held up her pointer finger.

"One."

"Yes. One."

She leaned the spear against the wall and picked up a similar blade to his. "A sword, Captain?" A confident smirk was plastered on her face. "A handicap. I don't want to hurt you by accident." He laughed. "You will regret those words, milady."

They took their stance. Jellal made the first move as he advance right towards her. She blocked, but soon after, an incoming attack from the right appeared and she jumped backwards to evade it. Fast. Their swords wordlessly spoke for them, as they clashed together at a timely cadence. A drop of sweat dribbled down her eyes. Another attack came at her and a clang echoed in the room. He almost broke through her defenses. Then, for a brief moment, she lowered her guard and he saw this. "Tch." The tip of the blade caressed her neck, and it elicited a faint chuckle from her. "You got lucky, King." Heat was coursing through her. This was definitely warming her up.

"Two out of three." She declared.

"I thought only one match."

"I changed my mind. Two out of three."

He took note of her panting form; the redness of her cheeks, her disarrayed hair, and the rare smile that was skulking around at the corners of her mouth. She's truly enjoying this. "Alright. Who am I to say no to my lady's request?" He wiped his head with a hand and shed an extra layer of his garment, revealing a simple black V-neck tee. This heat, its unbearable. It didn't help that the dangerous gleam in her eyes stirred something inside of him. She charged forward and now that he was fully distracted by the Captain's appearance, he barely blocked the heavy strike. He parried, but she easily countered it. His sword flew out of his grasp. "You got lucky, Captain." He said, throwing her words back to her. It was a tie now and she was still raring to go. I will win, King.

She dropped her sword at the level of her waist. "King, are you well?" His hand covered his mouth and a tortured expression lingered on his handsome face. "You really are terrible, Captain." The statement puzzled her. "I am only a man, and you are making it very difficult to breathe." Still not comprehending his ramblings, she walked to his still body. She peered up closely at his face.

"What are you babbling about n—" The King reached for the back of her head as he covered her lips with his own. Her hands were against his chest and she wanted to push him away, but instead the hands that once aided her in battle, betrayed its master, as she clutched onto the damp material of his shirt. He coaxed her with his tongue and soon her lips parted unconsciously.

An array of emotions fluttered and the restraint that kept them at arms length was breaking. The heat was multiplying.

What am I doing? This…what am I… "Stop." She muttered, as their swollen lips brushed against each other. "This...this can't happen again." She painfully detached their flushed bodies apart, and left without saying anymore.

Jellal collapsed on the floor, breathlessly trying to regain his composure. How am I going to sleep tonight?