Slipped

Chapter 3: Slipped

The Soldier Mess Hall…or for better words, a place where soldiers can get drunk all they want.

"This is injustice!"

"You're, like, amazingly right, Sugar boy!" Hughes shouted angrily. He nearly tipped over the table. Sugar boy got on his feet and pumped up his fist. "We should rally the troops! How can this kingdom stand for this? How can our King stand for this?" It was rowdy in the mess hall, that much is clear, but the section that the captains sat on was getting out of control. "Yes, Captain, Sir!" The other soldiers followed with a battle cry.

"Ready the Legio—"

"Sugar Boy. Hughes." The men turned their heads. She didn't look pleased.

"Erza." The two shakily muttered. "Erza you must help us! Do you not think this is beyond tyranny? His Majesty mustn't do this." She sighed. What are these idiots babbling about this time?

"What did the King do, if I may ask?" Both Sugar Boy and Hughes recoiled in terror. How could she have not been informed about the dire emergency that encompassed their kingdom?

"Whoa, Erza! Why you ask? LIKE! WHOA! WHY YOU ASK?"

"Yes, Hughes. That's what I said." She crossed her arms and told herself that she will gain nothing from this idiot's death.

"The King! The King halted all trades from Dehalder! Do you know what that means?" Hughes brought out a world map and explained the whole situation, but as always, his words fell into deaf ears since Captain Knightwalker had already chosen, for the sake of her sanity, to ignore him. "Right, right. Get to the point, Hughes." She had known about the temporary cancellation of trading between the Royal City and the port city of Dehalder, but she didn't see any reason why it would matter so much to her soldiers and the captains.

"Erza! We export their famous sweet rolls from them! Sweet rolls, Erza! How can we live on?"

Sweet...rolls? "In that case…" The boys' faces lifted with happiness. They were elated that they have Knightwalker's support, or so they thought. "I don't care." Her last words just about shattered their hearts.

"Erza!" She could hear their desperate cry for help as she backtracked to where she came from. She should have known better than to waste her time visiting the mess hall. Whenever she goes there, she looses brain cells. Tch, I lost two more. Wonderful. She exited through the large doors and entered the garden. From the distance, she could make out a familiar figure, sitting on a bench near the fountain garden. He was leaning down his head on opened hands, his elbows on his thighs"Your majesty?" She could sense the dark clouds looming over his blue-haired head. "Are you ill?" She kneeled down and placed a hand on his shoulder. She became anxious over his still, muted self and that vexatious feeling she liked to call, worrying, overcame her. There was never a day where the King didn't look for an opportunity to aggravate her, and succeeded in the end. It worried her that he wasn't using his "willful charms", to piss her off for once. Hold on, that's what I'm worried about?

"King?" She shook him twice.

"Erza, I feel weak." He looked pale too.

"Come, I shall take you to a healer."

"What have I done? It was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life."

"What is, your majesty?" Her eyes widened. Now, she suddenly felt weak. He is not referring to…

"Dehalder, Erza. The sweet rolls, Erza. Can my people ever forgive me?" As I thought. Her fist trembled. She can handle only so much idiocy in one day. She steadied her breathing. "Your majesty, it's only temporary, isn't it? Dehalder couldn't maintain its trading activities due to the recent...disaster, and…I'm sure the people will be…fine." Her voice was strained. Why is she explaining this to him as if he was a child?

She could hear the small glass bauble, which kept her sanity in place, cracking. Hurry out of here, Knightwalker. Before your hands slips and "accidently" strangle this fool.

He lifted his head up and noticed just how close the Captain was to him. Her free hand had found its way onto his knee and she probably didn't even realized it. With his current position, his previous dilemma didn't seem all too important now. Now's my chance. "Captain." He started. She stared directly into his eyes. "Was milady planning to take advantage of her King in his time of need? How sly of you, Captain. Very well, I'll allow it." She analyzed the situation she placed herself in and wondered what she has ever done to deserve this. On second thought, I've done plenty of things that merit some kind of punishment, but this? A thought surfaced. Hmmm…I can work with this.

"Oh, how kind of you to give me your permission, King." She wrapped an arm on his neck, and settled her knee between his parted legs. She leaned forward and his body automatically veered backwards. His heart stopped. What's happening?

Then, as fast as it happened, she was gone. Her arm wasn't coiled around his neck and his body was suddenly…flying? A splashing noise echoed throughout the empty garden, followed by an amused chuckle. "I apologize, your Majesty. My hand slipped." He sprung up to his feet and shivered from the impact of falling into the fountain. The King of Edolas was soaking wet.

He sneezed. "Erza!"