Chapter Twelve

Ashton released the arrow and held his breath as he watched it fling toward his target. It struck just below the center. And he beamed, knowing that was better than his previous tries over the years. Yet his excitement dwindled when he noticed his father in his peripheral.

"It's good to see you proud of your accomplishment," he stated, standing beside Ashton. "You are indeed getting much better."

Ashton lowered his bow to his side. "Which is all that matters to you." He tried to turn, but his father grabbed his arm. Ashton pursed his lips and remained still.

His father sighed, releasing him. "I'm here to... apologize for last night."

"There is nothing to worry about, Father. You're forgiven."

"Ashton, I am being serious. I heard what you said, and I am terribly sorry I wasn't there as much as I should have been."

"Of course." Ashton nodded. He even smiled to reassure him, despite knowing he couldn't really forgive him. One simple apology couldn't make up for years of let downs.

Still, he appreciated the effort. But when he stepped forward to give his old man a hug, his father extended his hand to him. Ashton nearly tripped over his own feet to stop and offensively glanced down at the hand. Biting down on his tongue, he grasped it firmly and shook it once.

His father raised his brows. "Strong grip you've got there, son. I'm impressed. You've come a long way these past years." Then he patted Ashton on the shoulder and muttered something about Ashton keeping his mind focused before leaving.

Ashton shook his head and tossed the bow aside, suddenly more frustrated than he had been when he came out here. He heard footsteps approaching and caught a glimpse of Joseph.

"There you are!" his friend called, pausing midway to raise his hands. Then he resumed walking. "It should not be this difficult to track you down. We live in the same room."

"Did you consider that perhaps I did not want to be found today?" Ashton asked him, not bothering to turn toward him. 

"Why are you giving me attitude? You're the one that disappeared last night and left me there alone."

"Oh, yes. You certainly looked miserable in the arms of that noblewoman you were dancing with."

Joseph stood in front of him, grinning crookedly. "She was adorable, but her personality was lacking."

Ashton sighed and retrieved his bow. "I am sorry for leaving. After my father found me, I was in no mood for dances."

"Was he angry?"

"Yes, he was, but not as angry as I would have thought. Anyway, I came out here to let out my aggravation before heading to bed. Royal balls are simply not for me." Ashton tested the sturdiness of his bow's string, contemplating whether he wanted to continue practicing this or move onto something else.

Knife-throwing was not a requirement for soldiers, but he could teach himself anyway. As Joseph—expert knife-thrower among the trainees—said, it could be useful one day.

"But you are a wealthy little boy, Ashton," Joseph jested. "And if you are going to be Princess Beatrice's personal guard one day, you will be going to them often. You may as well get used to them now."

"I will deal with them then. For now, I am quite happy spending my free time doing things I actually enjoy."

"Like running home to your mother?"

"That is not what I meant."

Joseph smirked at him. A joyful bark diverted their attentions over their shoulders, finding Dasher running toward them and Richard struggling to keep up.