Chapter Thirteen

When Beatrice entered her bedchamber later in the evening, she found a new crown on her desk. It rested atop a red velvet pillow. A delicate silver piece with opal gems aligning the pointy tips. Upon further inspection, she discovered a note beside the pillow.

I had this made special for you, my darling Beatrice

Beatrice pursed her lips and set the note back down. She carefully lifted the crown off the pillow and walked over to the looking glass, where she placed it atop her head and adjusted it to her liking. Although gorgeous, she couldn't help but think her mother only gave this to her as an incentive to behave better. Or perhaps it was so Beatrice wouldn't dwell on her negligence. Either way, she knew better than to believe her mother would give her something so exquisite without personal gain.

She heard knocks at her door. Beatrice stepped away from the glass and peered into the crack of her door she'd left ajar. She spotted Samoa on the other side, smiling at someone next to her. Beatrice sighed and walked over. Samoa's companion was Luc, and Beatrice widened her eyes.

"Your Highness," he greeted smoothly, bowing. Beatrice smirked.

"We hardly saw you last night," Samoa told her, and Beatrice frowned at her. "We missed your company."

"Oh, is that so?" Beatrice asked, looking pointedly at Luc.

Luc grinned at her. "Absolutely, Your Highness! Therefore..." he stuck out his right arm toward her. "Would you do us the honor of accompanying us for a stroll through the garden?"

Beatrice took his arm and allowed him to lead her out and down the corridor. Samoa followed closely behind.

"What a lovely crown you are wearing," her lady complimented.

"My mother had it made for me," Beatrice plainly told her, picking up her pace until she was leading the way. Luc walked faster with her, and she was relieved he didn't question why they were leaving Samoa further behind.

When they reached the wide staircase, Beatrice felt herself tense as she saw her parents walking up the steps toward them. She tightened her grip on Luc's arm, making him glance at her before he bowed to the Queen and King.

"Mother! Father!" Beatrice greeted, mustering a grin.

"Oh, Beatrice, the crown is perfection on you," her mother mentioned. Beatrice swallowed hard, then watched as her mother smiled warmly at her father. "She takes after me."

Her father chuckled. "Indeed, she does."

I do not.

Samoa elegantly curtsied to them. "What a fine evening it is, isn't it, Your Majesties?"

"I could not agree more," her mother responded. She refocused on Beatrice and brushed out a few of the tangles near the tips of Beatrice's hair.

Beatrice did her best not to move her head away.

"Beatrice, you should really allow your maids to do more with your hair," her mother advised in that tone of hers where she tried to sound more concern than she was. "This usual half-up style gets dull after a while."

Beatrice inhaled sharply through her nose. And she slowly exhaled out of her mouth. "Yes, Mother."

"Where are you three headed now?"

"A walk through the garden," Luc informed, seemingly unfazed by this conversation.

Samoa, on the other hand, squirmed a little. She had witnessed this countless times before, after all.

"Oh, that is nice. My husband and I shall leave you to it, then." Her mother headed off.

Beatrice was pleasantly relieved when her father lingered behind a bit and lovingly pinched her chin before leaving. She watched them link arms again and watched the way her mother laughed with him. She supposed, despite everything, she was at least glad that they were fond of each other. Their arranged marriage could've led to worse outcomes. She merely wished they could've fallen in love somewhere along the way. 

Samoa gently turned Beatrice and Luc forward. "Come along, you two. Let us head out before it gets darker."

Once outside, Beatrice pushed her parents further from her thoughts and smiled at Luc as something else came to mind. "How many places have you traveled to?"

"Oh, various. It is my mother's belief that traveling does the mind and soul well."

"So, you've seen plenty, then?"

"I would say so."

"All extravagant places or have you"—Beatrice released his arm and walked ahead to the fountain. The roses she had picked last night were still floating about, reminding her she had not been alone here.

"Have I what?" questioned Luc, plopping himself down on the bench.

Samoa hovered nearby.

Beatrice sat down beside Luc. "I am not naïve, you know? I am aware there are many people in the kingdom that are suffering from poverty."

"My, my, Your Highness. This is new." Luc turned his body toward her, the playful smirk on his face stretching further. "You've taken an interest in the poor?"

"How refreshing," Samoa chimed in.

"If I'm being honest," Beatrice started, "I have never given it much thought before. As of recently, however, I've realized I'm a bit curious to see these people for myself."

Samoa raised her brows. "You're a bit curious to see them?" A breathy laugh escaped through her ruby red lips, and she moved closer. "Beatrice, they are not animals you need to examine to understand. These people are starving, and some are without a home. Is it so difficult to believe that you need to see it for yourself as proof?"

"No." Beatrice scowled at her. "You misunderstood me. That is not at all what I meant."

Samoa dismissed this and continued. "Before you go out to see them, I must advice you to educate yourself on what can be done to help them. A simple visit would not make them entirely happy unless you follow through with assistance. Are you willing to do all of that?"

"Why must you say it in such a way, Samoa? Do you truly think me so careless?"

"Of course not. It's"—Samoa sighed and brushed a strand of her black hair behind her ear. "For as long as I've known you, you've endlessly complained about education and the duties of a queen. You have never shown to be serious about anything pivotal."

Beatrice gasped. She immediately searched for Luc's reaction. His lips were pursed as he stared down at his hands, evidently avoiding her gaze. She glowered at Samoa and stood.

"How dare you speak to me like that?" she snapped. "I am a princess, and despite our age differences, you should respect me." Besides, like Luc, Samoa was only three years older. It wasn't that drastic.

Samoa blinked in surprise, her eyes nervously darting once to Luc. Luc cleared his throat and nodded at her.

"Yes, Samoa," he said, "if anyone were to have heard you speak that way to Her Highness, punishment would have been granted."

Beatrice gaped at him until he winked at her. Then her heart leaped, and she grinned.

"I-I apologize, Beatrice," Samoa uttered, that confident demeanor she always possessed finally faltering. "I was wrong. Sometimes, you remind me of my youngest sister, and I spoke to you as I do with her."

"We are not sisters, Samoa," Beatrice told her. "We could be friends, however. As long as watch your tongue, that is."

"Of course, Your Highness."

Beatrice smiled sweetly at her. "Then I forgive you." She peered back at Luc. "I've heard you are quite the bowman on horseback. Would you mind showing me?"

Luc leaped to his feet and swept his arm out. "It would be my honor, Your Highness." He then faced the path they had come from. "After you."

Beatrice happily led the way, doing her best not to skip.