Chapter Eighteen

Ashton finished his stretches on the training grounds when he heard a whistle from behind. He turned his head and did his best not to grimace at the sight of his father. Judging by the man's stoic expression, Ashton almost worried Richard had told him about that little... incident last night.

His father signaled him over, and Ashton took a deep breath before obliging. Much to his delighted surprise, his father beamed at him.

"Today is going to be a special day for you, son," he said.

Ashton instinctively glanced around, half-expecting to find his answer in his surroundings. He saw nothing out of the ordinary, though. His father then touched his shoulder, and he flinched.

"King Reginald has just informed me that he will be taking Princess Beatrice for her first horse-riding lesson." With the enthusiastic way his father said this, Ashton felt guilty for not feeling equally excited about something that... well, something he simply did not care to know.

"Oh," Ashton whispered—mouthed, really—as he nodded.

His father sighed and squeezed his shoulder. "His Majesty would like to introduce you to her."

Ashton widened his eyes. "What... now? Why?"

"What do you mean why? His Majesty believes it is time for his daughter to meet the knight who will keep her protected once she is crowned."

"I... I am not an official knight yet."

His father leaned in, his smile increasing to a grin. "This is between you and me, but I heard Captain Alvarez and Lady Lucinda believe you are ready to move up."

"No, I"—Ashton stopped himself. There was no use arguing about this with his father. Except it didn't make any sense. He could name a dozen squires who were further ahead in their training than he was. He had just learned how to twirl his sword when everyone else had already achieved the trick. (And that was not even a real requirement, but everyone treated it as so).

Why would they recommend him moving up?

Then Ashton's muscles tensed as he watched the pride glimmer in his father's eyes.

This wasn't about Ashton being ready. Of course not. This was about him being Allister Ward's son. Goodness. He could already hear Joseph raging over this—and rightfully so, too. He didn't want special treatment because of his family—because of his father.

"Go on, son," his father said, patting his back. "Head to the stables and pretend as though you are merely checking on Rose."

"It's Rosie. And Father, we have to discuss this—"

"Now, go." His father shoved him in the stables' direction. Ashton knew better than to refuse.

Ashton set aside his training sword and dragged his feet toward the stables. He tugged on the ends of his sleeves and avoided eye-contact with everyone he passed, preparing himself for the moment he'd been dreading. In six years, Princess Beatrice would be crowned queen, and his fate as her guard would be sealed. He had kind of hoped he wouldn't have to meet her until the day before her coronation.

Meeting her seemed intimidating. She was younger than him, yet he'd rumors of her brash attitude. Although believing ridiculous gossip was not something he ever did, those whispered comments about her kept playing through his mind.

Rosie neighed upon his arrival, and he smiled up at her. The stable boys nodded to him and went about their duties while Ashton awkwardly hovered near his mare's stall. His Majesty and his daughter hadn't arrived yet.