(メ ̄▽ ̄)︻┳═一(19)

Still worked up over my exchange with Jungkook and my worry about my family, I take a seat in Yoo's office. I focus on the flames crackling in the fireplace, the only ting in the whole room that has movement and doesn't feel stale.

"Is there anything you would like to tell me, Suzy?" Yoo asks from the couch across from mine. Ten things that I don't want him to know flash through my thoughts.

"Not really," I say.

His eyes focus on my in a way that tells me he doesn't accept my answer. "Why don't we talk about your friendship with Sehun?" he says slowly.

I hate these vague leading questions. I much prefer Kang's direct ones. "Where's Headmaster Kang?"

"Not here," Yoo says, and offers no clarification.

I lean back into the couch, trying to give him the impression that I'm comfortable and have nothing to hide. "What do you want to know?"

"You and Sehun have been spending a lot time together," he says like he's daring me to disagree.

"He's my roommate's brother. It would be hard to avoid him if I wanted to," I say.

"Do you want to?" he asks.

These mind games are the worst. "Not really."

"Because you find him attractive?" he says.

"You already heard me say that to Headmaster Kang," I reply casually, as though there's nothing more to the story.

"But I didn't believe you when you said it," Yoo says, and I hold my breath for a second.

"Are you kidding?" I say in a slightly brighter tone. "Even someone with terrible vision could see that Sehun is attractive."

"I'm not debating his looks. I'm simply saying that I don't believe they're a contributing factor to your leaving your room after curfew."

I instinctively look toward the door, which I'm sure he notices and interprets as me wanting to avoid his question.

He waits.

I sigh, trying to show him that I'm going to tell him what he wants to know. "You told me you were worried I might not be able to keep up in history. Well, I'm competitive, like everyone else here, and I didn't want to be behind. I noticed that Sehun is a strong analyst and I wanted to convince him to tutor me."

Yoo considers my words. "Hmm. I see. And that night, after you met him, which route did you take back to your room again?"

Oh, shit. Sehun was wrong - I did not do well in my first interview. "When I spoke with you and Headmaster Kang, we covered -"

"Take me through it step by step," Yoo says, and puts his pen down to watch me more closely.

I take a deep breath, trying to slow my heart, but it doesn't work. "The moment I came back to the building, I was moving fast. I -"

"Which door did you come through?"

"The one at the east end of the vine courtyard."

"Mhm, go on," he says. "Details, please."

"As I said, I was moving fast because I knew it was late, and there's really nothing to tell. I went up the stairs and down the hallway. And when I got back to my room, that guard saw me," I say, attempting to keep my voice light and my hands from fidgeting.

"When I said details, I meant details, Suzy." Yoo's tone is sharp. "Which staircase? Which hallway?"

It feels like the temperature suddenly went up ten degrees. I roll up my sleeves. "The hallway that my dorm room is in and the staircase by the way of the courtyard." I only hope that my leading with the thing that's true means he won't get a clear read that I'm lying.