(メ ̄▽ ̄)︻┳═一(13)

Sejeong and I walk toward class, and even though I've been up for some hours, I still feel groggy from lack of sleep. Also, I've been getting more looks than usual all day, making me wonder if my conflict with Taemin and Kai is now public knowledge. And as though they knew I was thinking about them, I hear Taemin's and Kai's voices behind us.

Sejeong pushes through a classroom and I exhale in relief. But it's short-lived, because not five seconds later Taemin and Kai enter, too. And to make matters worse, Jennie is with them.

The five of us are the first ones in the classroom, where the desks, if you can call the large wooden tables that, have all been pushed to the edges of the room. There are two ropes tied securely around a thick dark wood ceiling beam, and hanging between them is a flag bearing the school crest.

"I can't say I'm not disappointed, Sejeong," Jennie says, and her eyes are direct and probing. "I thought you were the smart twin. But every time I turn around I think you're less neutral than the day before." There is no showmanship in Jennie's approach the way there is when Taemin is toying with someone. And she doesn't look back at her friends for approval and solidarity the way Kai usually does. She's direct. You can tell she says what she means and a threat is a threat.

I look from Jennie to Sejeong, and it's obvious by Sejeong's expression and rigid posture that whatever Jennie is talking about it important. Then it clicks. Neutral. Sehun used that word when he asked me about my Strategia Family politics - he said "for, against, or neutral."

Kai is standing next to Jennie, and he's a good six to seven inches taller than she is. He's also right between us and the door. "I think maybe Sejeong always fell on the wrong side of politics, and that it just took her sloppy friend here to shine a light on it." The contradiction between his silky voice and the words he chose makes me do a double take. He's like a toddler, cursing with a smile.

One look at Sejeong and it's clear she wishes she could disappear.

"Sloppy?" I say, boisterously enough that the whole ominous mood breaks. "Pfft. If you're trying to insult me, you're going to have to be more creative than that." They all look at me with dagger eyes, but I don't care. I'm just happy to take the heat off Sejeong for a second. I owe her that much at least. "I met an eight-year-old a couple of weeks ago who called me a Skittle fart. Now that's creativity."

"Every time you open your mouth," Taemin says, spreading his hands out like he has an audience of hundreds instead of four, "it only confirms the fact that you don't belong here."

"Just because you -" I start, but the door opens and middle-aged woman I'm assuming is the professor walks in with a few more students walking behind her. I shut my mouth and the five of us break apart, like we were never talking in the first place.

I knew these three would be a problem for me, but I never thought they'd target Sejeong because of me. I watch Sejeong, who seems to be just as uncomfortable as I am, and wish I could apologize. But I know that at this point the situation has escalated beyond what an "I'm sorry" can fix.

"So you're all here but you're still wearing your cloaks," the professor says. "I shouldn't have to remind you to always be prepared."

The room goes silent and we move quickly to hang our cloaks on the far wall. Everyone returns to form a line in front of the professor, who looks directly at me. "I'm Professor Zerstören, Suzy. Welcome to your first day of psychological warfare - or, as we affectionately call it, mind games."

I nod my consent, careful not to speak out of turn like I did in Flechier's class. Zerstören - the name of German origin . . . it means "destroy."