(メ ̄▽ ̄)︻┳═一(12)

Sejeong is still nowhere to be seen and it's well into evening. And with each hour that she's gone, my anxiety gets incrementally worse. I push the last of my dinner around on my plate as I fidget in my chair at the round table in our living room. Everywhere I went this afternoon the guards were watching me like hawks. To top it off, I've been so tense I haven't had an inch of space to process what I saw and what's happening.

The door to the suite swings open and my head snaps up from my plate. Only it's not Sejeong, it's Sehun. I stand up so fast I almost knocked my chair over.

"Are you crazy?" I hiss at him. "Don't you think it's basically the worst idea in the world for you to be here right now - especially alone, without Sejeong, on the day that they're questioning everyone?" The shock is obviously in my voice.

"it would be, if I were the type to get caught. But fortunately, I'm not that type," Sehun says, sounding as calm as I am nervous. "Or at least I wasn't until someone talked to the headmaster and I receive three marks." He walks past the couch and fireplace, stopping a few feet from me.

I rub my forehead. For a second I wonder about Yoo asking me if Sehun told me which way to go and if Sehun did have something to do with the murder. Could Sehun have set me up? "You know I can't lie without it showing on my face."

"So you didn't lie during your interview?"

"Well . . ."

He looks at me like I'm an open book. "You lied for you, just not for me?"

I fidget. "That's not exactly how it went, either."

Sehun takes a step closer and I'm suddenly aware that there are a table and a window behind me and nowhere for me to go if I need to. "As far as I understand it, you didn't do me the courtesy of telling Kang that I was headed to the boys' dormitory. And not in any way headed in the direction of the hallway where you found Taehyung's dead body."

I can feel the color drain from my face. "Aish, you didn't tell her that -"

There's a light knock on my door, and we both turn. "May I come in, miss?" Sohee's voice calls, and as the latch starts to lift all I can think is Please don't let her have just heard Sehun say that I saw a dead body.

Sehun ducks into my room and I sit back down at the table, trying as naturally as I can to push my food around on my plate the way I was doing before he showed up.

"Oh, you're not finished," Sohee says. "I'll just turn down your bed and refresh your water -"

"No, I'm done," I say quickly, and stand up. I smile to ease the nervousness in my rushed expression. "Please feel free to take the plates. And there's no need to turn down my bed. I've got it."

She looks doubtful as she collects the rest of my dinner onto a silver tray. "It won't take more than a minute."

"Really, truly," I say, and keep up my smile until she pulls the door closed behind her. I run into my room, my heart pounding a mile a minute, only to find Sehun lounging on my bed with his arm tucked behind his head.

He reaches out and touches my water glass on my bedside table. "You should have let her give you more water. You're actually running low."

My mouth opens. "What is your . . . What are you doing?"

He looks amused. "Talking to you."

"How can you be so calm about this? Do you know how serious this all is?" The words coming out of my mouth take me by surprise. Usually it's Jisoo saying some version of this to me.

Sehun props himself up on his elbow - the picture of leisure. "I understand better than you do. But flailing about like a ball of nervous energy isn't going to make any of it better."