(メ ̄▽ ̄)︻┳═一(7)

I pull open my bedroom curtains and light dapples my room, giving it a soft warm glow. But the floor is like ice and the moment my bare feet hit it I jump, snatch up my discarded socks, and practically fall over trying to put them on.

The chill sobers me up and the events from the night before come rushing into my thoughts - the challenge, Jennie's threat, and the Jackal conversation I had with Sejeong. I don't see how it could be coincidence that she used deceptive, innovative, clever to describe Rose - the same words eomma used to describe a family of stuffed animals in a game we played when I was young. It was a childish game - at least I thought it was. Eomma said she used to play it with Uncle Jin and their mother back in Amercia. Each animal family had three words to describe them, all of which are emblazoned in my memory like nursery rhymes.

I freeze and my stomach does a fast twisty-thing. It didn't occur to me last night, but when Appa came to my room to break the news about going to this school, he picked up one of my old stuffed animals and said, "Do you remember that game you used to play with eomma? I could never get you two to take a break from it." Then he smiled at the memory, the way he often does when eomma comes up in conversations. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now . . .

I open my bedroom door, caught up in my thoughts, and nearly jump out of the socks I just put on. On the other side, with a hand raised to knock, is a young woman who looks to be in her twenties, carrying freshly pressed clothes. She's wearing a maroon wool dress and a crisp white . . .  I think it's called a bonnet? Her cheeks have a natural pink flush that reminds me of a rose.

I didn't mean to startle you, Miss Suzy," she says. "I was just coming to tell you that I've brought morning tea with bread and jam at Miss Sejeong request." She takes a look at me like she's trying to log every detail, but not in the threatening way the kids and teachers in this school do. Her look is warm and curious.

I put my hand over my heart, like somehow this will slow down my pulse. "No, no. It's not you. Sorry. I just didn't expect anyone to be there when I opened the door."

She does a quick curtsy and gives me a huge smile. "I'm Sohee, your and Miss Sejeong's chambermaid. If you need anything, please let me know," she says, and I detect an Seoul accent. She moves past me into my room and lays the clothes she's carrying over the trunk at the end of my bed.

Sohee, I think. Meaning small yet shining, and also "friend of horses"?  Which I suppose suits  her. Her small frame and upbeat personality reminds me of being outdoors in the sunshine.

"Thank you," I say as she begins to straighten my blankets. "But I mean you don't have to . . . I'd rather just . . . Thanks."

"Not a problem," she says, and makes her way back into the common room with me at her heels.

Sejeong is already sitting at the table near the arched window, and the sight of freshly baked bread makes me want to hug everyone.

"Omo, Sohee, you just made my whole morning," I say with wide eyes.

I slide into my seat and put my napkin on my lap with enthusiasm.

"I got you the very freshest loaf," Sohee says with pride. "Grabbed it just as Cook was taking it out of the oven."

I break off a piece of the bread and steam escapes into the cool morning air. "You might be my new favorite person."

"Thank you," Sejeong says crispy before Sohee can respond and in a way that tells me it's an invitation for Sohee to leave.

"Yes, thank you!" I chime in as I scoop some golden butter onto my knife.

The door clicks closed and Sejeong's brows push together.