(メ ̄▽ ̄)︻┳═一(14)

I didn't imagine anything could be worse than stumbling upon a dead body in the middle of the night, but as I stare at the fireplace from my sprawled-out position on the couch, my conversations with Kang and Sehun have started to cast the situation in an ominous new light. The only thing is, I can't think of a single substantial reason someone would want to frame me for the murder of another student. Unless maybe someone had wanted to kill Taehyung for a long time and I just happened to come along and get into a fight with Jungkook, making me an easy target. Jungkook. I reflexively touch my bruised eye.

Of course, there's always the possibilty that Sehun's in on whatever happened. He did tell me to take that hallway. And if he is, and I give him the personal information he wants, I'll be making it so much worse. This is an absolute nightmare situation.

The door slams and I roll off the couch and into a standing position to find a fuming Sejeong stomping into the room.

"Get ready," she demands. "We're apparently going to the parlor." There is so much frustration in her voice that I know it's the last thing she wants to do.

"I'm ready," I say, watching her with caution. I'm well aware of the signs indicating someone is about to erupt. I've learned that lesson with Jisoo a few too many times.

"Well then, get your damn cloak if you want it," she snarls.

"If you don't want to go to the parlor, we don't have to go. Though I'm guessing Sehun suggested it," I say in my most mellow voice.

Her eyes spark at his name. "Not want to go?" She laughs and it sounds sinister. "I hate that place. You know what else I hate right now?"

She points her delicate finger at me. "You, and my stupid brother. How dare you two drag me into this catastrophe! You know you could die, right? Or he could die? Maybe I'll murder you both myself and save everyone the trouble of a trial!"

I stay perfectly silent and as still as possible.

"It's bad enough I have a twin who begs and borrows trouble every time I turn around. But then I get saddled with a roommate who encourages him! I'm only one person; I can't watch you both at once. And I don't want to. Do you hear me?"

I nod with purpose.

"You both have some nerve." She huffs. "You do realize they held me all afternoon, don't you? Endless hours in a room without windows, only be assaulted with five thousand questions about the two of you. And to be told like a child that if I cover for either of you there will be serious consequences. I had half a mind not to, and to let you both stew in this absolutely abominable disaster you've gotten us all into. But I know Sehun didn't kill him, and as much as I wish I could say otherwise, I know you didn't, either. So there you have it, screwed by my own conscience. And you know what really gets me?"

I shake my head.

"Taehyung was my friend." Her voice softens, and I can tell that she has nearly worn herself out. "And instead of being able to mourn him and process how I feel about all of this, I have to worry about you two idiots." She plops down on the couch.

I carefully sit next to her. Who knew this fiery girl was under all that studious perfectionism? For once she doesn't seem a million miles away behind a wall of ice, but vulnerable. I reach out and touch her hand and am pleasantly surprised when she doesn't pull it away.

Sejeong shakes her head and her eyes glisten silently. "We better get to the parlor. Keep your eyes and ears open and don't walk off with anyone for any reason." She removes her hand from mine, but even tolerating five seconds of friendly gesture is enormous progress in my book.