Chapter 1

The shooting star soars across the sky followed by a short trail of light. The fireworks start, wrecking the beautiful scene in the sky. Blue and red streaks of light burst above us. I look towards my sister who's laughing and smiling with her friends.

"Here." My friend Keegan says handing me a cold soda. He sits next to me in the sand.

"Thanks." I say simply and open the soda can. I take a sip and feel the cold liquid fizzing in my mouth.

"Why so quiet Alice?'' Keegan asks.

"No reason. I'm just tired I guess." I reply watching the fireworks explode in the dark night sky.

"Come on." Keegan says to me as he gets up.

"Huh?" I say turning my attention towards him. He rolls his eyes and grabs my hand hoisting me to my feet which causes me to spill my soda.

"I was still drinking that you know." I say as Keegan pulls me away from everybody. He ignores my comment and continues pulling me up a hill leading to the forest.

"Uh...where are we going exactly?" I ask slightly scared. He ignores me once again.

"Keegan?" Still ignoring me.

"Keegan?" I say louder and annoyed this time.

"Calm down we're almost there." He says picking up his pace causing me to do the same since he's still pulling me along by my hand.

"Where are we going?" I ask once again. He pushes past an overgrown bush.

"Here." Keegan finally replies as we stand on a small ledge. I look down below us which is pretty far down. The waves of the ocean crash against the rock wall of the ledge.

"Now jump." Keegan says pulling off his shirt.

"Wait, what!? I'm not jumping!" I say looking at him like he has lobster claws growing out of his head.

"Live a little Alice, I've done it before. There's nothing to be afraid of." He says now shirtless.

I look at his six pack wow, when did he get that? Okay, get a hold of yourself, stop checking out your best FRIEND. Emphasis on the 'friend' part.

"Yes there is! Like sharp rocks, the current, sharks, or-" He cuts me off.

"You know what your problem is?" Keegan says crossing his arms over his well-toned chest....I mean...

"Enlighten me." I say finding what little composure I can and crossing my arms too.

"You don't like taking chances. You'd rather have everyday be the same as the last." He says confidently.

"I do to take chances!" I protest.

"Yeah, that's why you've had the same thing for lunch everyday since eighth grade." Keegan says sarcastically.

I pull my shirt off leaving me in my bathing suit top and swim shorts. This will show him. Don't like taking chances, what does he know? I walk to the edge. Don't look down, don't look down I repeat in my head. I squeeze my eyes shut and hold my nose, counting down from 3 in my head. 3, 2, 1....jump! But, nothing happens. I don't feel my feet leave the rocky ground. I open my eyes to find myself in the same spot.

Keegan bursts out into uncontrollable laughter. "I told you." He says through his fits of laughter.

I turn and glare at him. He doesn't notice though since he's bending over trying to catch his breath. I squeeze my eyes shut, hold my nose, and jump without hesitation. I feel myself soar through the air as though I'm flying. The ice cold water surrounds my body. I quickly swim to the surface gasping for air. Suddenly a huge splash in the water on my left makes me scream. Keegan pops his head out of the water.

"Guess you showed me." He smirks. I realize I gave into him just to prove him wrong.

"Guess I did." I say mimicking his smirk.

"Well, miss risk taker ready to head back?'' He asks running his fingers through his wet jet black hair.

"Nah, I think I'm going to do that again." I say and swim over to land.

I get out of the water and look over my shoulder to see Keegan with a confused expression on his face. A huge smile breaks out on my face as I begin walking back up to the ledge.

"Hey, Alice! Wait up!" I hear Keegan yell after me. I stop to wait for him to catch up.

I think I just might try this 'taking chances' thing more often.

*************************************************************************************************************************

The song of course is 'Firework by: Katy Perry'