𝐗𝐗

I sit on a park bench in the Commons. I have a cup of hot coffee in my hand, but I'm not drinking it. I'm just waiting until he arrives.

Harry and I scheduled a talk for this morning. We never really got a chance to discuss our revelations that we had at his house a couple days ago. There wasn't any time. Harry had to drop me back off in the city before going to pick the kids up from school. I felt sad to see him leave, but he promised that we would discuss everything soon.

Could this really be happening? Was he going to divorce her for me? This isn't how it's supposed to go. The man never leaves his wife for the mistress. That's what I was told. Maybe this time is different. I want to believe him; I really do, but I almost can't wrap my head around it. So much is happening so fast. Does he know what he wants? Do I?

I wait a little longer, my eyes scanning everyone who bypasses my bench.

Harry strolls through the park about five minutes later, looking happier than I've ever seen him. He's buoyant and smiles when he sees me. He's in another suit today. I assume another lecture.

"Hi." He leans in to kiss my lips before sitting down.

"Hi," I reply. "You seem excited about something."

"Because everything is just... better. So much better." He looks at me, placing his sunglasses on top of his head. "So, I guess we need to talk about a few things."

"Can we start with the dinner? I still don't understand your reaction. Well, I do, but it kind of took me by surprise."

"Look, Alyssa, I wasn't expecting you to say all of those things. I appreciate that you did, but I wasn't ready to admit to myself that I loved you, let alone that you had the same feelings for me. It was just so mind boggling. We had a good thing going on, and I didn't want to lose you, but I knew that I couldn't give you more. Not right then, anyway. Now, things are different."

"What things?"

"The fact that I can't see my life without you anymore. And not just as a woman I fuck occasionally. It's more than that; I think it always has been. You mean the world to me." He takes my free hand in his.

"Harry, this is a big deal." I turn towards him, "You're talking about leaving your wife for me and what if things aren't what you think they are. She's stable, she's consistent. I'm... not."

"You think I haven't thought about that? I know you're young. In ten years, who knows what you'll want. But for me, right now, I want you in every way possible, and that thought makes me happier than I can remember."

"I love hearing that, but I don't want you to make these life altering decisions if you haven't thought it through. You have kids and they need to be your first priority."

He chuckles to himself, "I'm a thirty-five year old man. I know the consequences of my actions. I learned that a long time ago. I'm well aware of the risks involved with my decision and I'm willing to deal with them."

"Are you sure?"

"Krista hasn't been my wife in a long time, Alyssa. Even if you and I don't start a relationship, I'm still divorcing her. It's over. She gets back soon and then I'm serving her papers."

"Why didn't you do that before?"

"I was thinking about things. I wasn't sure about where I wanted my life to go, but now I realize that Krista and I need to be divorced. It's what's best...for the both of us."

His words mean so much to me, but I'm starting to feel horrible. This is not something that's going to just blow over. People will get hurt. What will his family and friends think of him? What will they think of me? I'm the woman who is tearing his family apart. And what about Krista? I didn't have any remorse for her during our affair, but she will certainly be hurt by this. I am the cause of that pain.