𝐈𝐗

I cross the city limits of Newport, Rhode Island and let out a sigh of anticipation. My GPS in the car tells me that I'm about ten minutes away from Harry's parents' house. It's his birthday today and I'm surprisingly cool considering the circumstances.

I make Phoebe come with me and she's sitting in the passenger's seat, picking at her nails.

"I don't understand why I had to take the train all that way from Philadelphia for just a day." She complains.

"Because you're my sister and I need your support. Suck it up."

"My, my. Aren't we touchy today." Phoebe teases me, "Scared?"

"No. I'm just trying to keep myself from doing anything stupid."

"Don't worry, Lyss. I won't let anything happen. I can't wait to meet his wife. Is she a bitch?"

"Yes." I say without thinking. Maybe it's a little unfair to judge her so quickly, but I can't help it. I hate Krista.

"I know how to deal with bitches. I'm an expert."

We continue the drive through Newport. This town is very rich. I'm a privilaged person, growing up with the best in life, but I'm even shocked by the size of the mansions I'm passing. To top it all off, Newport is right on the water. Sailboats are drifting out to sea and creates a very picturesque landscape.

"I think we're here." I say, pulling in front of a large set of wrought iron gates.

A man in black pants and a maroon jacket, comes up to the car, tapping on the window.

"Name," He demands with a clipboard in hand.

"Alyssa Wilson...and guest." I reply.

"Go on though. A valet will take your car." He smiles.

I drive slowly, my mouth dropped in wonder as trail up the driveway. Harry's parents' house is gigantic. I immediately detect European architecture and styling. The facade was made of bright white limestone and had an expansive red roof that looked like it sparkled in the sunlight. There was a huge fountain in the middle of the circular driveway with golden statues that spouted crystal-clear water.

I knew Harry was rich, but I didn't know he was this rich. It made me slightly uncomfortable. I thought this was a small birthday party. I wore a simple summer dress, for God's sake. I wanted to drive home and get one of my ball gowns.

As the man at the gate said, a valet there to take my Range Rover. I grabbed the two wrapped gifts from the backseat before he drove around to the other side of the house.

"I hate rich people." Phoebe complains as we walk up the front marble staircase to the large wooden and glass doors.

"So says the woman who's stepfather was one of the richest men in the country and who has a pro football player for a husband." I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, but this is a little excessive. How is anyone supposed to compete?" Her head tilted back as she looked up at the house.

"It's not always about competition." I say.

"So says the girl who's competing with a woman over her husband." She smirks and rings the doorbell.

Is that what I was doing? Competing for Harry?

I didn't have time to think about it before the door is ripped open by an over excited Jonathan Francis. He put a smile on my face as he runs towards my legs, wrapping them in his small arms.

"Lyssa, you made it!"

"I told you I wouldn't miss this."

"And you brought gifts." He pulls back and his eyes go wide, "What's in there?"