𝐗𝐈

I have never really been camping before.

In Switzerland, I used to go to my friend's houses in the mountains, but never sleeping-in-a-tent-bugs-in-my-hair-eating-fire- roasted-hotdogs camping. I find that I didn't necessarily hate the experience, but it is more the company that I enjoy. Being with Harry and his family makes me feel something. I'm not sure what, but I like it.

We have a fun filled day of camping activities. More walking around with Theo, trying to find a rare flower that only grows on the mountain. We don't have very good luck, but I tell him we could come back later in the summer when they are supposed to be in bloom.

George teaches me how to hit a baseball. He can whack one all the way across the lake, and I nearly fall over myself with excitement each time he does. He then calls Harry over to hit a few as well. He is good, if not better than his son.

Theo is a reader, which I'm thrilled to find out. He spends our time at the lake engrossed in a thick copy of Oliver Twist. I tell him it's one of my favorite books, and we then discuss the difference between French and English romanticism. Theo loves that I can talk books with him. He says no one else wants to. I'm sure he has no idea what I'm saying. He's only eleven, after all.

All of Harry's kids are so smart. It's astounds me.

Jonathan Francis and I are probably the closest. He hangs onto me like I'm his best friend. We swim in the lake, and I teach him how to build a fire, which I somehow know how to do. Maybe Carl taught me. I'm not sure.

Anne discretely mentions that JF is attached to me because he's missing his mother. She scrunches her nose up in annoyance at this and tells me that Krista hasn't really been in his life since he was born. He barely knows her. She pats my shoulder before she walks away, as if to tell me, 'He needs you'.

That night, we sit around the fire and make s'mores. I sit in between George and Harry, handing them my delicious treats when I can't finish them. Desmond tells us stories about coming up here with Ryan and Harry when they were younger. He has us all laughing at their shenanigans.

By the time midnight rolls around, we are all exhausted.

I slink into my tent, which is actually fairly comfortable. I still can't believe I'm here doing this; on a family vacation with Harry and his boys. I should feel ashamed, but don't.

I sleep extremely well. It must have something to do with the forest sounds. It's all very soothing.

I'm woken up far too early.

"Alyssa," Harry whispers.

"Go away."

"I have a surprise for you. Get up." He kisses my shoulder.

"No. I can look at your surprise later." I roll away. "And you better not be waking me up for sex, either."

"I never thought I would hear you turn down sex." He chuckles.

"Harry, it's not even light outside."

"Come on." He takes my feet and stuffs some boots on before he begins dragging me from the tent. I scream and he tells me to shut up before lifting me onto his shoulder. I promise not to run away and he puts me down.

We head towards the edge of the lake where he has two canoes with paddles set up.

I make a move to get into one of them, but Harry stops me. "That's mine," he says.

"But I like this color," I protest.

"You can have the pink one." He points to the other available canoe.