𝐗𝐗𝐈

HARRY first told George about the divorce.

Harry called me right after and said that it went well, but he didn't know how everyone else was going to take it. George expected it, and was old enough to understand it.

A week later, Harry told his parents. Once again, I wait with baited breath by the phone to hear news. He didn't mention that we were having an affair to Anne or Desmond, but I'm sure they assumed.

Another week passed before Theodore, Sebastian, and Jonathan Francis learned about their parents' divorce. Harry said that JF is too young to understand what it all means. To the boys, Harry explains that their family is going to change, but he still loves them. He never once mentions me or our relationship. It is too soon for that.

I sit in my house, on the couch, with a stammering heart. I haven't seen Harry since Krista caught me giving him a blowjob in their kitchen. He wants to meet, but I suggest that he focus on his sons first. He calls every opportunity he gets, but his main focus is them, which I fully support.

"What about Theo and Seb? Are they okay?"

He sighs, "Better than I expected. I don't think they really care, honestly. They just know that Krista won't be around much, which isn't a change."

"She won't fight you for them?"

"Krista hasn't brought anything up yet. Last I heard, she was at her mother's house in Nantucket. She won't answer my calls."

"She's probably upset," I say quietly.

"Alyssa, don't blame yourself. I know you are."

"No, I'm not," I lie.

"I have told you a hundred times, this divorce was coming with or without you. It was time for Krista and me to separate."

"But the way she found out... about us. She didn't deserve that. It must have been a shock."

"Of course it was and I do feel bad about that, but I can only try to apologize so many times before I go crazy. I would have loved to sit down and have a calm conversation about everything, but that's not how it happened," he says, so confident and sure of the situation.

"You're incredibly calm about all of this."

He chuckles on the other side of the phone. "It's maturity. This just feels right, so I'm not wavering on my decisions."

I'm quiet for a couple of seconds, not knowing what to say.

"I miss you, Lyss. It's been a month."

"I miss you, too. I'm trying to give you time but..."

"It's hard. I know." He exhales through his nose. "George has a baseball game in Newport this weekend. You could come... if you want."

"Do you think that would be wise with everything going on right now?"

"No, you're right."

We hang up a couple minutes later. We say our "I love you's" and it makes my heart warm each time I hear it. I'd never been in love and didn't think Harry would be the man it would happen with, but I can't complain.

I fall asleep with the phone in my hand and it rings the next morning at eight.

"Hello?" I'm barely awake and don't look at the number.

"Lyssa, are you there?" A chipper voice asks. "I've wanted to call since I woke up, but George said I had to wait until an appropriate hour. Whatever that means."

"Jonathan Francis, is that you?" I sit up slightly.

"Of course it is," he laughs. "When are you coming to see me? I miss you, Lyssa."