Chapter 37 | In the Coffee Shop

Life can take an unpredictable turn in the blink of an eye. My life most certainly did.

As I walked the loud and busy streets of New York, I couldn't help but smile at the turn my life took. I started my freshman year at NYU, studying business and learning how to enjoy life again. Yellow taxies with rusty tags were passing me swiftly, people walked next to me without knowing a word of my life, birds chirped on the tall trees that surrounded me, and life was vivid. 

Life was colored with different shades of rush and success, and frankly; I didn't mind. I didn't mind because, in all that rush, I forgot to stop and stare at my past, I just kept going, rushing to finish everything in time. Moving away from home sure was a big step, but in that small apartment on the 5th avenue, I learned what a blissful feeling was. My cats and I, that was all I needed to start over. Yes, I did bring Mishka, Coco, and Catto with me, and they even got a new edition to the family. When I first got here, a small gray cat jumped in front of me, and I just had to take her home. Her name is Mimi now.

"Do you plan standing there forever?" A soft voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Sorry, I'm heading in now." I gave the guy an apologetic smile and walked inside the coffee shop.

As I sat down, ordering my black coffee, I noticed the same guy from the entrance approach me,
"Is this seat taken?"

I looked at him, his green eyes sparked happiness and the already mentioned bliss, and I was drawn. Not drawn to him in particular, but to the aura that he oozed.

"Nope."

He sat down, putting his phone on the table, all the while looking at me.

"I'm Adam," he said while offering me a hand.

"Mia," I smiled.

"That's a beautiful name, Mia."

"Oh don't go cheesy on me," I joked.

" Hey, I'm a cheesy person."

" Well, that makes one of us." Flashing him a grin, I sipped my coffee and enjoyed the moment. The moment of not being worried about my past, because I was the only person that knew about it in that big city. I was able to speak of myself without fearing anybody's additional comments on who I was before, and I enjoyed it. 

"So Mia, I haven't seen you around before. What brings you here?"

" I started college a few months ago actually, moved here and all that."

"Let me guess, NYU?" He flashed me a cheeky smile.

"Correct, how did you know?" I was surprised that he guessed it.

" I can tell."

"How?!"

" I sensed it," my eyes went wide," just kidding, NYU is a few corners from here, I figured this was your stop before you go to your classes."

" Oh," I felt dumb," makes sense."

"So, Stern?" The cheeky grin was on his face again.

"AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?" I gushed.

Pointing at something in front of me, he said," your books."

Getting red in my cheeks I gave him an ashamed look," this is my first coffee, I don't function properly until I finish it."

" It's fine, I don't mind," He smiled at me and it held me captive. This guy was something else. With his carefree look and his carefree style, he made me want to know him some more.

"If you'll excuse me, I should be going now." Finishing my coffee in a few sips, I packed my things and got up.

Adam got up as well, handing me a pen that was laying on the table, totally unnoticed by me," I hope to see you again, Mia."