Chapter 6 | I'm Good, Go Away

Ace's POV

"You should have seen it! I totally rocked his world!" Damien was screaming while running in front of Jay and me.

"You should really start paying attention to what you say," Jay told him and took a drag of his cigarette.

It was almost midnight, and my friends and I wanted to go out for a couple of drinks. I mean, Damien did win a fight earlier this day, and we do have to celebrate it. Since half of the places are opened until eleven at night, we needed to take a different route and cross the boring side of the town. Good thing was that the pits were pretty close to the next open place, and we didn't have to walk for a long time. Just a few shortcuts and some shady alleys, and we are free to get as drunk as we want to. 

Going home will be a drag though, I can feel it already.

As we were walking towards the Hard Rock Cafe, one of the rare places that is open 24/7, we heard muffled voices across the street. At first, none of us really paid attention to it, for our town was sketchy and fights after midnight were infamous. Man, we were in half of those fights ourselves. But moving forward, something has, in fact, caught our attention. 

A girl's voice was screaming at what I concluded were her attackers. There wasn't any sign of fear in her voice, even though numerous male voices were screaming back at her. Damien seemed to be hit with this situation more than Jay or me, and he stormed right at the spot where the voices were coming from. 

Jay started running after him, and I caught up right away. 

Fast forward to the scene, Damien was on top of one guy while yelling different profanities at all of them. Jay and I fought off another two that were coming his way and started going after others. There were at least ten of them, but I wasn't in a situation to stand and count.  A tiny girl was fighting somebody that looked gigantic when compared to her tiny figure, but she was rocking that fight. I mean, the girl's got moves, she was probably trained in one of the gyms around. My attention fell on another younger girl, that just stood back and watched the scene that played out in front of her. She wasn't in any danger, I guess. My eyes sharpened the picture and I realized that this was the same girl that lost one of the fights earlier this night, one of the paid fights. 

Maybe she was cashing out the money lost on a fake deal, who knows. What I did know was that my friends were idiots, and I had to help them, no matter what the situation was like.

 As I was approaching a middle-aged man that tried to swing at Jay, I noticed that most of these men were in fact, middle-aged. What is a group of grandpas doing with a young girl? My thinking was interrupted by Damien's scream.

"Guys, it's Mia!" He was rushing towards the first girl now already laying on the cold pavement, and he couldn't reach her on his own. Jay and I joined in and fought off those that were getting in the way. Just a few minutes later, the place was cleared out, and we were there alone, with an unconscious girl that Damien somehow knew. 

All of the guys were now out of our radar, and the girl that was a bystander disappeared as well.

"Mia! Wake up!" Damien was screaming at her while Jay called the ambulance. 

"What do you mean you can't come?! The girl was beaten up and is laying on the ground, may I mention again, unconscious!" Jay was arguing over the phone, and I felt as useless as I could get. Once I looked better at the girl, I've realized that not only Damien knew who she was, but I knew her too.

 It was Pixie, or Mia, whichever one prefers, the girl that won the betting fight earlier this day. I can only assume that she was beaten up because the fight was supposed to play out the other way around, and when there is money in question, the rules cannot be broken that easily. She was definitely aware of the fact that she shouldn't be walking alone tonight, and yet here she was.

 I even remembered that I saw her just an hour ago when Jay and I were going to find Damien. I haven't even thought about what could happen to her tonight. 

Now I feel kind of bad that I didn't. 

"Damien, what are you doing here?" And the sleeping beauty has risen up from her sleep. Her clothes were dirty, and her face was bruised up. 

"What are you doing here Mia?! You could've been killed?" Damien screamed at her while still carefully holding her head. Mia got up and slowly brushed the dirt off her jacket.

"Well, I am fine. No need to interfere in my business." The sassy little idiot was pissed at us. She was pissed at us! I swear I'm now regretting that she even woke up. Actually, I'm regretting feeling bad for her at all.

"Mia, we need to get you to the hospital. You might have a concussion." Damien calmed down, and I wondered how he did that. I mean, she made me angry in just a second, and she didn't even talk to me, but him.

"You will get one if you continue with those awfully stupid ideas!" Yep, this girl is crazier than Lemmy, the lead singer of Motorhead was, while he was both on speed and drinking bourbon. 

"Oh for Christ's Sake! Shut up already! You almost died, at least say thank you! " Jay spat while the girl sent a murderous glare his way. He wasn't having any of it and right after she tried to fight with him, Jay turned around and left.

"I'm out of this. "

Damien was trying to get some sense in her and I considered going after Jay, but I stayed in spite of not wanting to be there. I don't know, we did just fight off a bunch of guys for her, so at least we deserved some sort of an explanation. 

She didn't seem as bad as I first thought she would be. A few bruises and bloody scraps, but everything else seemed to be fine. 

Well, everything but her attitude. 

As my crazy friend talked with this suicidal chick, I got very irritated and tired of waiting, so I kind of snapped.

"Will you tell us what all of this was?!" I lit up a cigarette in order to calm my nerves.

"And why do you care?! Nobody told you to be here, and I owe you nothing. So please, get the hell out of here!" I swear this chick is really crazy. I mean, how can you just neglect the fact that you could have been dead by now? Maybe this is the reason they went after her in the first place.

"Damien, I'm out of here. I can't deal with drama queens." I turned around and left without waiting to hear my friend's response. I did, however, hear the response of the idiot on the floor, and it took me a lot of patience not to go back and finish what the other guys started.

"No worries, if you stayed a little longer, I'd probably kill you." I guess that once somebody loses their shit, they never get it back. I wonder how the hell did she manage to lose it this early in life.