Chapter Eighteen

Mr Perfect had shaped up to his name. Living together had become an exceptional experience. He was definitely someone Grace could get used to perving on. He mowed the lawn shirtless. All the women in the neighbourhood would suddenly appear as they pretended to check their mailboxes, on a Saturday. One lady even pulled out a chair and sat down as she pretended to read a magazine. Grace knew she was not interested in the magazine at all. Of course Grace was the lucky one who was living him, but with this competition she began to feel the pressure.

Grace made sure her hair and make-up always presented well. She even bought a full draw of new underwear and chucked her old yet comfy granny underwear. The passion they held for each other was well noted. Each night they would spend time in each other’s arms. Words were never enough. Instead they would cuddle and watch the stars.

Last night out of nowhere Mr Perfect looked down at Grace, “Will you be my official girlfriend?”

“Of course,” Grace replied as she smiled. Really Grace wanted to jump up, run round and scream ‘yes.’ Thankfully she contained her feelings and kissed his lips lightly whilst she melted back down to his firm chest to rest her head.

As dawn rose Grace realised she was alone in her bed. Mr Perfect must have carried her to bed. As she remembered everything that happened the previous night, Grace jumped out of bed and had a shower to prepare for the day. As she applied her make-up, the most mouth-watering flavours drifted in from downstairs. Grace followed the scent to the kitchen, no food was displayed. Her stomach grumbled in disappointment. Grace took a closer look at the kitchen table to discover a small note. 

Gorgeous Grace, follow the rose petals for a delight.

Grace looked at the ground to see rose petals freely covering the floor. Grace followed the petals into the lounge room, then back into the hallway which directed her to the back door. Grace lunged forward to open the back door.

Mr Perfect was laying down on the lounge outside, with a straw hat to cover his eyes, he looked utterly relaxed. Once again he did not disappoint, he was shirtless. Grace walked up behind him and lifted up his hat, he looked up and grinned.

“What time is it?” he yawned.

“8 a.m.”

“Wow, I’ve been asleep for a while.”

“So did you happen to eat breakfast without me this morning?” Grace asked. He looked up with a mischievous grin. “I woke up to the most delicious smell and you already ate our breakfast,” Grace said as she placed his hat back on to cover his delightful smirk. He sat up and pointed over to one of the bushes. The backyard had many hiding places. Grace walked over to a nearby bush and there it was. Heaven had opened and released the most scrumptious food. Mr Perfect had patiently waited to eat breakfast with her.

They dined together while the sun warmed their bodies. Everything was perfect. Shaggy was sitting next to their feet as he waited to be offered some bacon.

After a welcomed breakfast, Grace laid down on the lounge, her mind drifted to work. Grace had become depressed at work. Since she had returned from Spain, Ray had been holding the reins very tightly. He wanted to take control again of the business and micro-manage every task. It seemed his retirement mode had slightly disappeared and for whatever reason was back at work. Not only was work starting to turn into a drag, Grace could not tell Louise about her problem, in fear Louise would speak to Ray. The only way to avoid the conversation was by talking to Louise less. If Grace did not take control soon, the situation would only get worse.

One particular morning feeling extra feisty Grace walked into Ray’s office and blurted out, “What has happened to you? Don’t you love Louise anymore?” Of course he was more shocked to hear this piece of news. Grace had not meant for the words to rush out in that format. Grace was normally professional, in relation to sensitive matters. Ray motioned for her to sit down. Grace felt like she was a school kid about to sit down with the principal. Ray took off his glasses and wiped his sweaty brow.