Chapter Five

Louise was applying make-up when Mike walked in. “Good Morning Mrs President,” he said while cuddling her from behind.

“Morning chirpy, what are our plans for today?”

“Well I was thinking we could go buy a Porsche,” Mike said jokingly.

“Keep dreaming,” Louise rolled her eyes.

“Fine, but a Porsche would look nice in our drive way. Actually your mother called and invited herself over for lunch, I agreed of course. Have to keep the mother-in-law happy.”

Louise turned to face Mike and kissed him, “You really are a great husband.” Louise then added light-heartedly, “if my mother is coming for lunch, we still have the morning to enjoy.”

“I like you’re thinking,” Mike grinned. The phone began to ring interrupting their conversation. Louise picked up the call while Mike walked outside to pick up the newspaper from the driveway.

“Louise where are you?” Louise knew immediately who was calling.

“Hi Ray, I am at home.”

“Get to the office now,” he demanded. Louise went to reply but the phone line dropped out. She quickly got dressed in her work clothes when Mike returned, paper in hand.

“That is a bit formal for your mother isn’t it?” he said acknowledging her outfit.

“Sorry love, Scary Ray just called and I have to go to work immediately.”

Sensing Louise was worried Mike offered to drive her. On the way to work, Louise was running through her head what could be wrong. Nothing came to mind. By the time Louise arrived to work she was a nervous wreck. “It’s okay Louise; I am sure he just wants to look at some paper work. I will find a car park. Call me when you are finished. I will call your mother to cancel lunch.” Mike kissed Louise on the cheek. 

Louise opened her office door to find Scary Ray peering outside the office window. He turned around, “Louise thank you for coming. I brought you here to fire Tim.” He showed no emotion on his face.

“Why is that Ray?” Obviously Louise did not mind. Tim was patronizing and self-centred. He needed to be pulled back to reality.

“Tim is slack and has made a disgrace of the company.” Scary Ray handed Louise the paper. The front page showed a picture of Tim slapping a woman’s bottom. Louise skimmed the article to discover Tim was being accused of sexual harassment. “I want him gone immediately, call him now,” Scary Ray pointed to the phone.

With Scary Ray watching, Louise had to be careful in the way she worded the conversation. She dialled Tim’s number, he picks up and she heard some ruffling in the background. “Tim, this is Louise Gemfield. Obviously you have seen today’s paper. What do you have to say for yourself? Don’t say anything. You have disgraced and embarrassed the company. Your contract has been terminated, effective immediately. Your personal items will be delivered to you by the end of the week,” Louise said feeling powerful and liberated.

“Louise,” he begged. “Please, my reputation will crumple; nobody will want to hire me. I know we have not gotten on well in the past. But if you gave me a second chance.”

Louise cut him short. “Tim you had a chance to prove yourself when you were appointed the job, and you failed.” On that note, Louise hung up the phone, sensing her luck was shifting into something superior. Good bye Tim, Louise thought to herself. Louise turned to Scary Ray who seemed impressed by her firmness with the matter.

Scary Ray changed subjects quickly, “how is the contract with Densely Indigo travelling?” Louise pulled out the draft contract from her top draw and they sat down to go through the contract together. Scary Ray seemed to lighten up and not seem so scary. Louise chuckled to herself at the thought. “What is so funny?” Ray asked. Louise watched as a small smile spread across his face.