Chapter Fifteen

Grace went back to work and found out that Sally, the coward had left an email to say she had in fact resigned. Grace was a little disappointed that she could not fire Sally herself, but was thankful she did not have to see her again. Life could go back to normal. Except life didn’t feel normal, it felt lonely. Grace had so much fun on her holiday but now coming home, she felt she was missing something in her life. At work when she got a spare moment, she found herself day dreaming about meeting a new man. The thought of never having to feel alone ever again, provided Grace with comfort. To be able to cherish moments together and have someone to say goodbye to in the morning, when leaving for work would be a dream come true. 

Saturday morning Grace woke up and decided if she couldn’t find a man she would buy a dog. Grace visited the local dog shelter. There were so many beautiful dogs that didn’t have a home. Grace walked past each one and wanted to take all of them home. Immediately she fell in love with a hairy faced dog that looked back at her, with big pleading eyes. He was bigger than she thought she would get. He was a Saint Bernard and reminded her of the movie Beethoven. His name, Shaggy, suited him perfectly.

After Grace purchased all the accessories for her beloved new family member they went home. She opened the door and Shaggy ran through the house and found the cosiest place to sit, which was on the lounge. “Looks like I shouldn’t have bought you a doggy bed after all,” Grace chuckled to herself. After a few hours of exploring, Shaggy seemed right at home. They sat on the lounge together and watched TV. Shaggy rested his head on Grace’s lap and fell asleep.

#

Ray was excited to have Louise back from holidays. Even to the point where he no longer worked on weekends. He just wanted to be with her. Ray admitted how lonely he was without her. Louise was grateful that she was loved.

After her trip Louise knew one thing was for sure, she wanted to help others. Louise signed up to volunteer at the local children’s hospital one day a week. She had always wanted to volunteer for a charity, but never had the time. Although Ray was ten years older than her, she still fantasised about having children. Louise was 42 years old. At this late stage of life it seemed it would take a miracle to be pregnant. She had always dreamed of having children and now time was ticking fast.

Louise had achieved so much and now all she wanted to do was have time to smell the roses. She just wanted to live life. She felt no situation could be too difficult or complex. Her fears of life had minimised.

Louise could see ahead; a bright light, the bright light of life. She promised herself to live and do everything in her power to bring happiness to herself and others. Louise whispered these vows to the listening trees and watchful birds. 

“Louise, Louise.” She turned around to find Ray who was running towards her, with an enormous smile on his face. “Didn’t I say you can’t leave me again?” he said through every puff of breath.

“I wasn’t far away; I was just talking to the trees.”

“I can see that. Am I not as exciting?” He pulled Louise close to him and kissed her passionately then drew her back and searched her face. “I came out to see your beautiful face.”

“Or so nothing important then,” Louise mused. 

Ray rolled his eyes, “Actually we have a guest. She is sitting in our lounge room and said she met you in Spain.” Louise followed Ray into the lounge room. As Louise entered she froze. “Well isn’t this a scene. I have never heard Louise so quiet before,” Ray chuckled. Louise whispered to Ray to leave the room. He darted a curious look at her as he walked out.

“Sally the nerve you have for coming here. I am going to have to ask you to leave,” Louise said sternly.

“Louise, please listen to me. I did not come here to upset you, or cause any trouble. I just came to apologise,” Sally pleaded.