Chapter Eight

Louise had been staying with Ray for three days. She felt her life had completely changed for the better. She had no difficulty pushing out thoughts of Mike and the past they shared together.

Louise walked over to the lake and sat down on a wooden seat overlooking the calm water as she let the peacefulness surround her. For a long time she had been on the go, her mind continually racing. Today she encouraged her mind to rest.

The birds chirped to one another, the trees rustled amongst the breeze and the slow water rippled against the edge. Why did life seem so complicated? At this very moment, Louise felt on top of the world.

After an hour of solitude, Louise’s heart felt warm. She noticed Ray looking out from the balcony gazing towards the lake. Louise examined his features; even from a distance she could see him clearly. He had a strong face, yet his eyes were warm and filled with joy. He had a well-built body which he believed proved his dominance to the business world.

Louise walked over to him and they embraced. “Would you like to join me for breakfast?” he asked.

“Yes, thank you,” she breathed into his neck. 

They sat down at the outdoor table. Ray smiled warmly at Louise, “Do you like this house?”

“Yes Ray, you really do have a beautiful home. I feel like I am at a retreat.”

“That’s why I like it to,” he said as he glanced back to the amazing view. “What are your thoughts on me?” Ray asked. Ray seemed to approach everything in a direct manner.

Louise looked at him and laughed, “You are always seeking a compliment.” Ray's kitchen staff brought out breakfast, which included long stemmed glasses filled with fruit and yoghurt.

“What would you like to do today Louise?”

“I guess I should be getting back to work.”

“I would much prefer you stay here with me.” He motioned her over and they laid down together on the sun lounge. “Louise, I know you will need to sort things out with Mike,” Ray paused. “I was hoping you would consider marrying me?”

Louise sat up suddenly and looked at Ray’s nervous face. “You barely know me. Are you sure?”

He laughed, “Of course I am sure, I have known you for five years Louise. And these past few days have felt like a dream. I don’t want you to go. I want you here with me. You can leave your position and we can enjoy life together.”

“Retire?” Louise asked still in shock.

“Yes, but not what you would normally consider when you hear the word retire. We would enjoy life, be active and do whatever we want.” Ray bent down on one knee and opened a white box.

“Louise will you marry me?”

“I would love to Ray.” Louise looked down at the ring and then saw her current wedding band and engagement ring from Mike. Without hesitation she took Mike’s rings off and placed them in her pocket.

Ray softly placed the ring on Louise's finger. “Obviously we will have to wait to get married till you are officially divorced. However that doesn’t mean we can’t start preparing our wedding.”

Louise looked at the ring and then at Ray. She could not believe everything had moved so fast. She then spoke in a soft voice, almost to herself, “It’s time I face Mike.” 

Ray looked worried, “Would you like for me to come with you?”

“No, I better do this by myself.”

Ray was concerned of Mike’s anger but Louise was determined to go by herself.

Louise drove to her old house and saw the familiar neighbourhood and the familiar house she had once lived in. She took a deep breath and opened the car door to face her past.

Louise walked through the familiar front steps and knocked. No response, she knocked again. Someone unlocked the door and Mike appeared. Louise was not sure why she felt surprised that Mike had opened the door. “Louise,” he said in a desperate tone. “Come in,” he hugged her tight. “Louise, I am so sorry for what happened I thought everything was okay in the hospital and you were ready to come home. I am glad you are home now,” he smiled.

“Mike I need to tell you something.” He motioned her to take a seat on the lounge. “Mike I am not staying and I won’t be coming back.” Mike was left stunned and speechless. This was not Louise; she was acting cold and not herself. “Look Mike, life wasn’t the way it should be, you were angry and I had a disease to deal with. Our marriage was not the fairy tale I had once dreamed of. These past few days I have not thought of you and have enjoyed my life. I know this may sound strange but it’s true,” she paused. Mike looked at Louise in misery. He was sure he would shatter into tiny pieces across the lounge room floor. “You remember Ray don’t you? Ray has asked me to marry him.” Louise flashed her new diamond ring in his face. Then placed her hand in her pocket and gave Mike her rings back. “I won’t need these anymore.”

All this information was too much for Mike. Surely Louise did not mean her words? Did she hit her head and become delusional? Louise started to walk away. He muttered her name in a whisper. Louise turned back to face him. “You were the love of my life and you always will be,” he said with a final declaration of love. He then turned his head away to avoid further humiliation. Louise walked out of the house.

Louise stepped into the car and felt a sense of relief. Prior to this she felt nothing, no emotion. Now she felt free from her past and excited for her future with Ray. She had always dreamt that Ray had a soft side.

She made a quick stop at a boutique bakery and purchased a fresh loaf of bread, still warm from the oven. Louise arrived back to find Ray outside the front door; he walked over and opened her car door. He drew her close; no words needed to be spoken.

Louise broke the silence by showing Ray the fresh bread. “I thought we could celebrate over some lunch.” He laughed and they walked back to the house with his arm wrapped around her. Over lunch Louise told Ray over the ordeal with Mike.

“How do you feel now?” Ray asked.

“Free,” Louise said.

***

 If you enjoyed reading this chapter, please star it! Thank you.

Copyright 2012 by Melanie Toye