Chapter Two

Miranda had been working in her role for over two years. She took great pride in providing her clients with the best employees. And found great satisfaction finding someone a job and a year later discovering they have been promoted.

Candidates always asked Miranda what her dream career would be. With conviction Miranda responded that she was working in her dream career. They would look at Miranda in awe, hoping that one day, they too would work in their dream careers.

It was not true though, this was not Miranda’s dream career. She really had no idea what her dream career would be. Miranda’s time was too caught up with work. Even on weekends she worked. She wished she could take a break and enjoy life. Miranda realised the main reason she enjoyed her demanding job was due to the non-stop activity. Resulting in no time to ponder the experiences she really wanted to gain from life.

Sally knocked on Miranda’s door, interrupting her thoughts. “Excuse me Miranda, Rebecca has arrived and is waiting in Paris.” The absurd design of the office involved interesting names of the meeting rooms. Jim, Miranda’s Manager, thought naming each room after a famous destination would help candidates associate the company with the world’s most memorable places to visit.

During the interview Miranda glanced outside the window. Rebecca seemed to be divulging on the subject of how fabulous she was. Sometimes Miranda just wanted to scream, what a load of crock. Angry and bored, she tried to listen to the girl’s attempts. This girl had the largest ego Miranda had ever seen. When Miranda asked Rebecca the standard question of what she perceived her strengths were. Rebecca rattled off a list as large as a child’s Christmas wish list. Miranda had to stop her. “I am sure that is enough,” Miranda said bored. Rebecca looked at her with excitement, she thought she had this interview in the bag, sadly she didn’t.

After a gruelling half an hour, Miranda concluded the interview and agreed to call Rebecca by the end of the week. Miranda walked over to Sally’s desk to give her some paperwork. Sally met Miranda’s sweet eyes, “Miranda, some of the girls and I are going for drinks later, would you like to come?” Surprised by the invitation Miranda accepted.

Sally was Jim’s Personal Assistant and the team’s administrator. She was attractive, yet wore a bit too much make-up. Sally seemed excited that Miranda decided to tag along. They walked to the nearest bar and ordered a bottle of champagne. “Miranda,” Sally raised her glass. “This is for you. This is the first time I have seen you leave work at a reasonable time.” Miranda laughed clinking Sally’s glass in agreement. After finishing her first glass, Sally reaches for a refill of more bubbly.

The night becomes exciting; the music pumping, people are dancing and having a good time. They make their way to a lounge area. “Miranda, are you enjoying yourself?” Sally asked.

“Yes I am having a blast, thank you for the invite. I don’t get out very much,” Miranda said embarrassed.

Sally touched Miranda’s hands softly; Miranda looked up to meet Sally’s wild blue eyes. “Miranda you work way too much, you should come out with us more often.”

“Really, you are sooo nice Miranda, oops my name is Miranda, he he I meant to say you, Sally.” Miranda was seriously becoming drunk. She had no idea how many glasses of champagne she had consumed.

Sally continued, not caring in the slightest that Miranda just called her the wrong name. “Miranda, are you single?”

“Yes,” Miranda admitted sadly.

“Chin up girl, you have told the right person. How about I set you up with some of my friends? I love match making,” Sally said.

“I guess meeting a man can’t hurt.”

Sally clicked her fingers and within seconds five gorgeous men walked over. This girl had magic. “Hi boys, I want you to meet my friend Miranda.” Miranda giggled like a school girl and waved hello. They made themselves comfortable, when Miranda noticed Sally had disappeared. Who is going to talk to these guys now? Miranda knocked back another drink to boost her confidence. “Hey babe,” a tall man sitting beside her said.

Miranda delighted at the fact he called her babe, replied, “Hi, so, um, err, hi.” Clearly she wasn’t doing so well with the conversation. He didn’t seem to mind; as he placed his arm around her shoulder.

They didn’t speak much more as they observed everyone around them. Miranda took this as an opportune time to look for Sally. She scanned the room. No luck. Maybe Sally had gone home. Talk about being a party pooper. Miranda dialled Sally’s mobile number. “Hey, where are you?”

“Miranda my phone is running out of battery, I should go,” she said rather tersely.

“Just tell me where you are.”

“I am...,” the phone blanked out. She sounded safe.

“Want to dance?” her new friend asked. This guy had broad shoulders and smooth hands. They were dancing sexy when he drew Miranda in close and passionately kissed her.

After a few more songs, Miranda is shattered and walked back to the lounge. Her new guy friend walked to the bar and for the first time this evening, Miranda checked her watch. It was past midnight. Miranda had work tomorrow. She got up and left to find a way home for a much needed snooze.

Miranda woke up the following morning with a pounding headache. The thought of taking a sick day was squashed as Miranda imagined the amount of work load to catch up on. She stumbled into the shower hoping the pounding of water would provide some relief.  With her brain ticking to explode at a moment’s notice, she was unsure if she should call in sick or go to work.

Miranda had dressed and walked outside, her body making the decision for her. She stopped at her favourite coffee shop ordering an extra-large latte to awaken her soul. The smell of coffee would revive her senses. An added bonus was the thrill of watching the crowd walk by. Imagining who they were and what they had achieved in life. Her coffee was ready. Miranda was disappointed she couldn’t stay longer, watching the world go by. Instead she walked with the flow to her way to work.

As Miranda arrived she saw Sally looking fresh and prepared for the day. “Good morning Miranda, I hope you had fun last night,” Sally said with a twinkle in her eye.

“I did thank you.”

Sally smiled and went back to work. Miranda walked over to her office. The realisation came to her fast and clear. Miranda should not have left work yesterday. Plenty of work had bombarded her desk since and her brain was not functioning at its full capacity. This was going to be a long day.

Jim strolled over to Miranda’s office. “Miranda can I see you in my office please?” Sudden panic set in as she followed him in. Dreading that Jim knew she was hung over and fire her in disgrace. “Miranda, I received a call from one of your candidates this morning, Grace Sky.” Perhaps Grace had put in a complaint, Miranda thought nervously. “I wanted to thank you on a job well done. Grace was so pleased in helping her find a new job she called me personally to ensure I was aware of your hard efforts.” He smiled kindly. “I am Miranda, I know you start early and leave late each day. You are our top biller. I want to thank you for performing over and beyond what is asked.”

“Thank you,” Miranda managed to say in disbelief, her head spinning from the previous night. 

***

If you enjoyed reading this chapter, please heart it! Thank you.

Copyright 2012 by Melanie Toye