Chapter Twenty

Ray came home early from work and carried with him an attractive bouquet of red roses. As he approached Louise he bent down on one knee. “What are you doing?” Louise asked. Mystified, then accepted the flowers and plotted around the kitchen in search of a vase.

“Louise, I am asking for your forgiveness.” Ray stood up and demanded attention from Louise. “I haven’t been myself lately and I am sorry. I have been working so much of late. I realised it wasn’t our relationship that I was dissatisfied with, but more the fear of growing old.” He dropped both of his hands over Louise’s. “Louise, I love you and I am ready to live the most amazing years of my life with you.” Louise opened her mouth to speak but Ray put his finger over her lips. “There’s more.” He continued, “I have resigned from my job.”

“Oh darling, that is wonderful,” Louise said leaping into Ray's arms.

The sudden sombre mood turned into a celebration. “Honey, I was wondering what our plans are for the rest of the day?” Ray asked with a twinkle in his eye.

“I am sure I can think of something.” Louise took his hand and led him to the bedroom. “I know an activity that won’t make you feel old,” Louise teased.

After hours of pleasure, both exhausted, they laid down to sleep. Louise fell into a dream state of lying next to Ray on the beach, immensely in love with each other. A loud noise started to make havoc. Louise searched the beach to try and find what the noise was. She soon woke up to the telephone ringing. She rolled over to the end of the bed and picked up the phone that was sitting on the bedside table. “Hello,” she mumbled.

“Are you the gorgeous woman in my bed?” A deep voice came from the phone. Louise glanced over to see Ray wasn’t in bed.

“Well it depends, because I am in nobody else’s bed but my own,” she replied.

“Sorry miss, I must have the wrong number.”

Louise giggled, “Ray what are you doing, where are you?” she asked in a light tone.

“Well my dear, this is for me to know and for you to find out.”

“Oh is that right?”

“Yes, put on some warm clothes, flat shoes and meet me at the front door in fifteen minutes. And Louise,” he paused to highlight, “do not be late.”

Louise quickly touched up her make-up and got dressed. She knew the smell of sex would arouse Ray so she did not bother with a shower and went down stairs to the front door with only a minute to spare. “So are you going to tell me what you’re planning?” Louise asked.

“Not yet. Let’s just say I have a surprise for you.”

“I love surprises.” Louise sat down next to Ray in a limousine. “You know you have already proposed,” Louise giggled.

“I want this day to be the start of our new life together,” Ray said as he popped open the champagne. “To our new lives together,” they both said in sync as they lifted their glasses of bubbly in the air.

The drive was long nevertheless the scenery was picturesque. Louise could never get sick of seeing the endless landscape. One town could be full of cows, mountains and greenery and further along reveal masses of yellow grass, with horses that played on a flat field. Each place enticed her as it portrayed its own unique scenery. Louise was always astounded how Australia was a one of a kind place. One state could be in the middle of a flood where another could experience a drought at the same time. It seemed uncanny that a different state could provide such different weather patterns.

They turned off the highway onto a narrow dirt road.Tall trees enclosed either sides of the long road. The scenery provided little comfort to Louise as the scene felt similar to a past mafia movie she had watched. They arrived to the end of the road, turned a sharp right which took them to an open green paddock. As they drove closer, Louise read a sign, ‘Hot Air Balloon Ride.’ Louise turned excitedly to Ray and gave him the tightest hug. “I am over the moon. This day really is becoming one of the best.”