Chapter Ten

Louise woke up the next morning to see a large bouquet of white lilies on top of her bedside table. She read the card. Good morning beautiful. Follow the rose petals to discover the treasure chest at the end of the rainbow. Louise excitedly wrapped her bath robe around her waist, placed on her slippers and followed the delightful rose petals on the floor.

She arrived to the guest bathroom where two ladies were waiting. “Louise we are here to ensure you are pampered this morning.” Louise sat down opposite a mirror and watched the professionals apply her make-up, paint her nails and up-do her hair.

Now pampered, Louise continued to follow the rose petals to the lounge room. In the corner was a foldable wall, with an extravagant gown hanging over the top. Louise ran her fingers over the dress, as she admired its beauty. Louise carefully changed into the stunning gown when another woman approached to help zip the back of the gown.

The lady motioned Louise over to the coffee table where elegant jewellery was displayed. “Louise, choose the one which brings a smile to your face.” Louise chose a gold necklace with a solid shaped heart, draping off the entwining chain that matched a set of solid gold drop earrings.

Louise walked to the kitchen where another woman stood holding a picnic basket. “Your last clue is waiting for you over the bridge,” she said, as she winked at Louise while handing her the basket. Louise walked outside and across the bridge. She saw the ducks swimming and playing with the crystal clear blue sky above them. As she walked off the bridge she saw Ray dressed in a black tux, standing alongside another well-dressed man. Flowers interlaced over an archway standing amongst the greenery as decoration. Louise joined Ray. He took the basket from Louise and placed it on the ground. He then took Louise’s hands into his.  “Louise, I would like to seal our love through the unspoken and unwritten vows that we hold so close to each other’s hearts.”

Tears of joy wet Louise’s eyes. Ray took out his crisp white handkerchief from his pocket and dabbed softly under her eyes. They embraced each other and felt such joy fill their beings. They then turned to face the celebrant and spoke of their love for each other. “Louise, since meeting you, I have always known that you were the one for me. You have given me breath to enjoy this life. You will always be in my heart. Be with me Louise, forever.”

Louise looked into Rays sparkling eyes. “Ray, before I met you, my life was dull and boring. I had no joy and I began to accept that was the way of life. When I discovered the real you, the love and compassion you held. I knew that you would be my one. I followed you and I will continue to follow you in all walks of life.”

They moved in close and kissed. Ray smiled and Louise laughed as Ray took her hand, picked up the basket and winked. They walked to the big oak tree hand in hand; a picnic blanket and glasses had already been laid down. Ray let go of her hand and popped open the champagne to celebrate.

#

Miranda was still at work. She quickly packed her personal items, took one last look around the office, before she quietly walked out.

To gain some perspective Miranda visited one of her favourite places, the botanic gardens. She walked through the gardens and found her treasured seat. As Miranda approached the seat she soon discovered the plaque had been removed. Disappointment hung over her head as sadness soon crept in. With the fear of losing her job and ultimately everything she knew, she felt utterly hopeless and out of control. She played with the idea of running away, or going on a much needed holiday. Jim had made it quite clear there was no hope. Soon it would all be revealed. What was the point of all her hard work? Why did she give up on friends and a life in order to work for a job that was going to kill her reputation?