Chapter Twenty-One

Today was Miranda’s court date. Miranda wore her favourite suit, which had not been worn since her last day at Entice Consultancy. It seemed when life changed directions so did the style of clothing. Grant wore a stylish suit with a blue striped tie, which coordinated with Miranda’s blue blouse. He surprised Miranda with his great fashion taste. Then again, he was French.

Even though Miranda was innocent, she was still nervous. She wondered the type of questions that would be asked, and the thought of not remembering a specific detail.

They arrived to a horde of media that waited at the front of the court house. Grant parked around the side of the building. As they hopped out of the car, the media swam towards them. Maxwell ran over yelling, “Do not say anything.” Grant pulled Miranda in closer.

All the commotion terrified Miranda. Microphones were pushed into her face, hundreds of camera’s flashed, blurring her vision. Miranda was nearly blind and bruised by the time she reached the steps. Grant opened the door and Miranda ran in, with the media frenzy forced to stay outside.

A skinny tall man greeted Miranda in the hallway and asked her to follow him. Grant let go of her hand. Miranda felt she was suddenly deceased and had to follow the angel of death to face God. No one could help her or provide support; it was just Miranda versus God. She was in way too deep. She wanted to run but her feet automatically trudged forward into the crowded court room.

All of Entice Consultancy ex-employees where sitting on the opposite side of the room. Miranda trembled to think they could all be against her. Grant was two rows behind and it was a neck sore to look at him. Her only comfort she could not see. Miranda felt sick, her stomach performed belly flops. She pinched herself in the hope it was all a dream. No luck, this was real. Miranda took a deep breath and closed her eyes. “All rise,” the skinny tall man said in a surprisingly deep voice. Everyone stood.

A judge walked in and sat down, then everyone followed suit. “Miranda Burke, you are here today to testify the details of what you witnessed on the day of the robbery at Entice Consultancy. Please come to the stand.” Miranda approached the stand timidly as she faced her previous colleagues. Miranda read out her statement and detailed the events of the horrid day that would always be remembered. Nobody interrupted Miranda as she spoke. “Thank you Miranda,” the judge said as she concluded.

A well-dressed man that sat at the table across from Miranda stood up. “Your honour, may I ask the witness some questions?” The judge motioned him to approach. “Miranda, you said when you approached the scene of the robbery you were the first person onto the scene.”

“That’s correct,” Miranda said with confidence.

“Miranda, how can you prove to the court that you did not plant those files to be stolen?

“I…”

He quickly interrupted, “Miranda, don’t you think it’s ironic that robbers were stealing when the sun was shining, especially in an industry where staff begin work at an early hour?”

“Yes.” Butterflies began to form in her stomach.

“Don’t you think it’s interesting that you met with Jim in private, when he cancelled lunch with his own wife?”

“I didn’t know,” Miranda trailed off.

He rushed on to build towards something greater. “Miranda, you were the last person to speak with Jim. What did you say to Jim that made him take his own life?” Miranda’s eyes felt like they jumped out of their eye sockets at the allegation.

“Rephrase the question,” the judge interrupted. 

“Sorry your honour. Miranda, did you feel after meeting with Jim that he was suicidal?” The athletic lawyer looked at her with piercing eyes.