Chapter 32

Arthur stared at the blue morning sky, and smiled. He patted his horse and looked at Dutch.

"I didn't reckon we'd see another dawn," he commented smiling.

Dutch laughed, "You and me both, son. You and me both. Now lets go and get this inbred, yankee hating scumbag."

Arthur laughed, and mounted his horse. As much as he hated what had happened, he felt this new path they had been forced into, might be fun.

He waited for Dutch to mount The Count, and then they both headed out of St. Denis.

As they rode through the swamps, at a steady pace, Dutch was the first to break the silence.

"How are you feeling about this, son. I mean workin' for the law, instead of against it." He asked.

Arthur smiled, "ain't the worst thing in the world to be doin'. On the plus side, we ain't gonna be running away from Pinkertons. We still got a bit of freedom."

Dutch nodded. "This Marshall Davies. He seems closer to an outlaw than a law man," he scoffed. "Hope that bastard is gonna keep his word."

Arthur laughed, "If thats the case, then likely he will. In my experience outlaws tend to keep their words, better than law men!"

They both chuckled, as they rode on to capture their first bounty.

They arrived at Fort Brennand, early afternoon. It was situated at the top of a hill, so they left the horses at the bottom. The fort was in a pretty dilapidated state. It also seemed pretty deserted.

"Are you sure this is the place," Dutch questioned.

Arthur nodded, as they crept closer to the wooden fort walls.

There were no gates, just an opening, where at some point the gates had been.

Arthur poked his head around the entrance.

"Lindsey Wofford. I got here a warrant for your arrest. We can do this the easy way or the hard way?"

Arthur looked up at the ramparts. It was difficult to see, if that was their man, but it certainly looked like him.

"That don't mean squat to me, c'mon boys let 'em have it," the man yelled down.

Arthur ducked back behind the wall.

"Shit," he muttered, "there's more n' just him!"

Dutch chuckled, "ain't stopped us before son, lets go."

Dutch drew his revolvers, and Arthur, swung the rifle off his shoulder.

They ran into the fort, and took cover behind some crates.

A few bullets, hit the crates, but the raiders, weren't very accurate with their shots. Unlike Dutch and Arthur, who were taking out the rest of Wolford's gang, at a furious pace.

Arthur glanced to the left of the ramparts, "Fuck, they've got a Gatling gun!" he exclaimed, as he saw one of the men running towards it.

Dutch aimed at the man, and took him out, with a head-shot, before he had a chance to get there.

After several minutes, silence reigned around the fort.

Arthur climbed up the ramparts, and grabbed the dead body of Lindsey Wofford. Whilst he was doing this, Dutch found a chest, which had some money, and several valuables.

Arthur frowned, "What you doing?"

Dutch chuckled, "spoils of war, son. Spoils of war. No one said that we can't steal from the outlaws!"