Chapter 17

Dutch took his hand away from Ella's cheek.

"Listen to me, Ella. I don't know what's going on in your tiny mind, but you've got it all wrong."

Ella stared at him, not a fearful stare, but a cold, icy stare.

"I saw you Dutch, at the Sheriff's office in Rhodes, and its not just that..." she shook her head.

Dutch sighed, "Of course you saw me, we were helping him out."

Ella's expression softened, slightly. "I know, you wish you hadn't shot Micah, you've been different since then. Even if you what you say is true, about the sheriff. Its too late now. Please Dutch, you have to let me go."

Dutch's face turned red, he clenched his fists, so the knuckles were white,

"do you have any idea, how much I've done for you? Do you?" He said, angrily. "I've clothed you, I've fed you, I've protected you. But more than that, I loved you." He sighed, and unclenched his fists, trying to let his anger, drain away. "I still love you, even after everything you've done."

Ella looked away, as tears, trickled down her cheek, "then let me go," she whispered.

Dutch pulled out his knife, and walked towards the bed. Ella looked up, fear returning to her face.

He cut the ropes on her ankles. As he did, she sighed, with relief.

Dutch reached behind her, and cut the rope, binding her wrists.

Ella, rubbed her wrists, and looked at Dutch, "thank you." She said, quietly.

Dutch cupped her cheek, in his hands, and pressed his lips to hers. She kissed him back, gently.

He stepped back, to give her some room, then turned his back on her.

"Go," he said, firmly.

Ella, slid off the bed, and walked out of the tent.

"Ella, where are you going?" She stopped, recognising Arthur's voice. She turned around.

"I'm sorry Arthur. Please tell Sadie, I'm sorry. I never meant for this to happen," she said, sorrowfully.

"But where will you go, what will you do?" Arthur asked, concern in his voice.

Ella shrugged, "I don't know, but...well I'll get by." Ella smiled, "be happy, Arthur." She turned, and headed for her horse.

Ella mounted, and rode down the track.

Javier who was on guard duty, saw Ella riding down the track.

"Chica, what's going on, where are you going." he called out.

Ella, turned her head, to look at Javier, and gently reined in her horse.

"I'm sorry Javier, thank you for everything, but I have to go," she smiled, with a hint of sadness.

"Wait," he said, as he walked over to her. He reached up, and put his hand on hers. "Please, meet me at the fishing spot. We can talk."

"I don't know, Javier. But thank you." she said, as she kicked her horse on.

As she rode down the track, she felt tears, welling up in her eyes, but she didn't look back.

Arthur, walked over to Dutch's tent, and lifted the flap. As he walked in, Dutch spun around, a hopeful look on his face, which melted away, as soon as he saw Arthur.

"Aren't you gonna stop her, Dutch?" Arthur asked, still shocked at Ella's departure.

Dutch stood there, and shook his head, "she ain't a prisoner Arthur, she never was. She thinks I've changed, son. Since I shot Micah. She thinks I don't love her, no more."