20 - Can of Juice

After a hastened sprint, Chaeyoung finally came to a stop and hunched over. Panting heavily, she murmured, "You- you guys... there you are... I..."

Jisoo, Jennie, Chaeyoung, and Lisa sat on a bench along a riverside park that spanned the banks of the Han river. The entire Banpo bridge stretched towards the view, making this part of the park a famous site for pictures. They met up to watch the sunset fall, as well as catch the bridge water spectacle that would display for the last time that day.

Jisoo, Jennie, and Lisa turned back at Chaeyoung's voice. "There you are, Chaeng! What took you so long?" Jisoo said.

Chaeyoung stumbled to a seat next to them on the bench. "I just went to get you guys..." she set down several bags on the table, settling down on her seat with pride. "Chicken and beer."

"Chicken and beer!" Jisoo, Jennie, and Lisa cheered. There couldn't be a better way to enjoy a hangout without food. They gleefully scrambled for the packages and a can. However, their smiles were replaced with raised eyebrows when they took a closer look at their drinks.

"Just kidding, guys," Chaeyoung giggled. "Soldiers are not allowed to drink. So I got you guys fresh juice."

Jennie picked up the chilled can of grape juice and let out a brief chuckle. "I still find it funny how we can't even drink on our day off."

Lisa replied, "This is why you should've been a General already, unnie. Soldiers are the only people who haven't had proper chicken and beer and going to concerts."

"Good idea. I'm with that," Jisoo replied, opening her can with the others. "This is for General Kim Jennie. Cheers!"

The four clinked their cans together, gulping down a mouthful of juice. They observed the horizon, where the other side was bustling with early nightlife as much as theirs. Namsan Tower ruled the skyline in the distance. Half of the sun had sunk down behind the buildings and shops, striking a beautiful gradient of blue and pink. Along with them, the cars on and below Banpo bridge had started to illuminate the view with lights.

Chaeyoung was among the four to smile at the panorama. "Do you guys recall that time we gathered like this, right before the announcement?" she broke the silence.

They pictured their former selves in the military cafeteria, gossiping and exchanging their deepest ambitions with each other. A smile formed across Jennie's face, still admiring the view. "Of course, we do. Looking back, I'm just... baffled by how much I changed."

Jisoo chuckled and patted on Jennie's shoulder. "Of course, Jendeuk, you almost died. The us who walked out of a war zone, are obviously very different from the band of crackheads who talked in the cafeteria. It's all thanks to fighting and four men."

"Shh! Unnie!" Chaeyoung exclaimed as laughter roared around the table.

The moment was filling with reminiscence over the past events and memories, and Lisa joined in. "I never thought I would say this, but I'm grateful for being thrown away in a war zone in the middle of Iraq."

The rest nodded with her. The conversation silenced down when she widened her eyes behind her friends. "Wait, guys, look-"

At that moment, when the sky had turned dark, amplified music boomed throughout the whole city. The four turned to Lisa's finger, which pointed at the bridge.

Along the 500-meter span, streams of fountains sprayed on both sides onto the river. They were lit with a display of colors, waving along with the rhythm of the music. The girls cheered and clapped, witnessing the show unfold before them.

"I heard it's the last time they're playing it this year. We're lucky to catch the show today," Jisoo informed her friends, who enjoyed the show more upon learning so.