3 - Deployed Pt.2

It was time for the vehicles to depart. The military police raised the gates as an armada of trucks exit the barracks. A crowd of their families cheered and waved on the sidewalk as truck by truck passed by.

During the hour-long ride to the airfield, the wind brushed through inside the trucks and the soldiers get to see one last view of the city. They get to see the crowded sidewalks, the buses driving by, the cars of people heading to work, the towers standing tall, the Han River, and whatever they could see on the city. Everything ordinary seemed much more special at that moment, because they knew it might as well be their last time seeing them.

The trucks arrived at the airfield and each personnel got off them. They formed multiple long lines according to their regiments, where each of their Commanding Officers called their names one by one and made sure everyone is present.

There are several choppers and two humongous transport aircraft on the airfield, each can hold a few hundred people. Their tails open and fold down to form a ramp. Each line of soldiers load the planes one by one and took their seats.

When everyone was in, the plane lifted off the ground, and into a long flight ahead.

[LISA]

Lisa looked around. The seats are not like commercial planes, they were arranged parallel to the walls so Lisa could see a lot of people. The atmosphere is pretty calm. Everyone is either asleep, staring at the floor, or giving small talk. All she could hear are the loud jet engines.

"Jisoo, how long is the flight again?" she asked.

"Shh! Don't talk too loud. Jendeukie is asleep."

Lisa leaned forward and looked to the left. Jennie peacefully slept, leaning her head on Jisoo's left shoulder. Not everyone gets to see this side of the respected top-student Jennie Kim often. She looks just like a dumpling with her chubby cheeks left out in the open like that.

"9 hours, by the way. We'll be there around 3 PM local time." Jisoo answered. "Just sleep if you'd like."

"I'm not sleepy yet." Lisa replied. "I was still thinking about Chaeyoung and Captain Seojun."
Jisoo chuckled. "Eye- I think it's obvious he likes Chaeyoung. It's not like I'm against it, though. A dark horse and our chipmunk? To be honest, they'd make a cute couple together."
"I swear, if Chaeng is here, she'd smack both of us." Lisa said while laughing.

Well not really, I wasn't thinking about Chaeng and that dude. I was thinking back about my ambitions.

What is it like, being a respected officer? Where everyone greets you first? Teaching recruits our principles, where even the strictest instructors fear the sound of your footsteps?

Look at Jennie. From the first moment she stepped in the doors of the academy, it's like she was born to be here. Whichever unknown territory she wants to go, she conquers it.

Who is the person they see as "Lalisa Manoban"? Out of all the eligible people. I'm a clumsy person. I make a lot of mistakes. I'm just getting sympathy from the officers because I'm determined and... 'adorable.'

Sigh. If I can't make this work, I don't know what I'll spend the rest of my life for and how I will make up for the time I wasted. Will I be able to show all of them the person I'm capable of being?

Lisa sighed and leaned back. Eventually her head felt heavy and her eyes begin to... close...

 close