Background + Notes

- As of 19/10/2019, this book is complete. As this is my first work which was written without serious consideration into complexity, expect errors throughout the entirety of this book (especially the first few chapters).

- Duty will not have any mature content or violence. Only action scenes, non-graphic blood and gunshot wounds.

- I do not recommend skipping, as a lot of important details are left on each chapter. Skip at your own risk.

- The plots involving expertise (e.g military training & surgery) and place names are mostly (if not, all) made up and fictional. Accuracy is not guaranteed. Do not use this story as a reference for actual facts.

Inspired by the KBS drama, Descendants of the Sun.

——Background——

Where the characters are when the story starts.

Jennie Kim, SergeantJennie grew up in a well-off family, but her attention was more into serving her nation instead of other 'conventional' careers

Jennie grew up in a well-off family, but her attention was more into serving her nation instead of other 'conventional' careers. The name 'Jennie Kim' is a feared and respected name in the barracks. Back in the academy, Jennie was always at the top of her class. She impressed all the instructors who were lucky enough to have her in their sessions. The senior officers favored her, and she is looked up to (or, envied) by juniors. She's only bubbly around Jisoo, Lisa, and Chaeyoung, but very closed off and ice cold on duty or alone, as if she hides an especially personal secret.

 She's only bubbly around Jisoo, Lisa, and Chaeyoung, but very closed off and ice cold on duty or alone, as if she hides an especially personal secret

Kim Jisoo, Corporal
Jisoo is especially close with Jennie, who she first met upon entering the academy. Everyone around the barracks loves her friendly and lighthearted personality. Quite a lot of male soldiers crushed on her unworldly visual and went crazy wherever she went. But she's also favored for her fiery determination to excel and her strong mentality. She never once broke down or show her weak side, or at least nobody has ever witnessed it. Although she can cope with it, Jisoo was never really into violence, and hopes to progress in the Education and Training Services instead.

Park Chaeyoung, SpecialistChaeyoung majored in medical sciences and succeeded as a doctor, but eventually decided to serve in the army medical corps due to her strong humanitarian drive

Chaeyoung majored in medical sciences and succeeded as a doctor, but eventually decided to serve in the army medical corps due to her strong humanitarian drive. She made many friends with the other medics and her patients at the military clinic. Chaeyoung is well-known around the barracks for her unique singing voice. Oftentimes, Jisoo, Jennie, and Lisa comes over to the clinic to talk to her and spread juicy gossip. Although she thinks she's doing what she wants, deep down she wishes to be more than just a mere nurse attending soldiers on a cramped clinic.

 Although she thinks she's doing what she wants, deep down she wishes to be more than just a mere nurse attending soldiers on a cramped clinic

Lalisa Manoban, Private
Lisa is a descendant of a Thai family in South Korea. Lisa always wanted to be a civil servant at a young age, and ended up with a career in the army. Lisa is a diligent and fit soldier, but her small voice and image overshadows her determination. She and Chaeyoung became close friends after Chaeyoung helped her recover from an ankle injury. Other than Jisoo, Jennie, and Chaeyoung, she is also good friends with Private Jungwook and a number of other male soldiers. One day, she hoped she would accomplish her seemingly impossible dream of being a high-ranked officer.