Chapter 9

I opened my eyes, slowly and looked at Aarohi who sat on the chair, scrolling her phone. "Good Morning. Are you fine now?", she asked. "Yes. It's feeling better now", I smiled at her. "Everyone is saying that you and Darshan will win this competition. Abeer said that the judges liked your performance and the students found it too intense, they were going gaga over your chemistry on the stage", she told. "Well, let's hope for the best", I said and went to Veena Maa's bedroom because I could not talk to her properly, last night.

"Nandini, how are you feeling now? Aarohi told me about the incident in the college. Do you want me to meet your principal?", she asked. "No, Maa. You don't need to panic. Dean has already looked into the matter and I hope that Vibhas gets punished", I answered. She cupped my cheeks and said, "My brave daughter, don't ever fall weak. Remember, I'm always there with you". I nodded. "Well, Darshan did a huge favor to you, yesterday so did you thank him?", she questioned. "I was so pissed off that I didn't talk to him but I will surely thank him today. By the way, Maa, the results will be out today. I'm so excited". "I hope that you win. Go, get ready for the college, fast", she replied. I went to my bedroom to get ready. I stood in front of the mirror and lazily combed my hair. Although I told Maa and Aarohi that I was fine, I wasn't. I could not get over the bizarre which took place last night. "Nandini, have you seen the clock? Get ready fast, we'll be late", said Aarohi and I hurried. "Yeah, let's go", I said while keeping my phone in the bag.

In the entire way to college, I just kept on thinking about who would win. I already prepared my mind for the worst because what I and Darshan performed on stage was not something we prepared for the entire month.

We reached the college and could hardly find anyone in the corridors except Dhriti. "Where are others?", I asked. "They have assembled in the auditorium for the prize distribution", said Dhriti and we went with her to the auditorium. Though, it was crowded with students, my eyes searched for Darshan because I had to thank him. "Are you searching him?", said Dhriti pointing towards Darshan who stood ahead of us. "Uh, yes. I wanted to...", I could not complete because Dean started to announce something in between and Abeer took him away to the right side. He spoke something to him which changed his expressions ghastly. He just took his bag and went out of the auditorium. I did not know why.

"The first prize goes to Darshan Raval and Nandini Malhotra", Dean announced and everyone applauded. Aarohi and Dhriti shouted in happiness but I stood still. "Where did Darshan go? How will I go the stage without him?", I cried out. "Aarohi, please go to the stage and collect the award. Darshan is caught up with something so he won't come", Abeer informed me while I stood puzzled. "How could he?", I screeched. But I had to go to the stage because everyone was waiting for me, so I walked slowly, taking baby-steps, and irrationally prayed to God to send Darshan anyhow. I climbed up the stairs; Dean smiled at me and extended the award to my side. I held it in my hands alone, all alone. I practiced with that guy, he supported me on the stage, he protected and motivated me but now I was receiving this prize without him. He deserved it more than me; it was he who saved our performance from ruining. I felt so disheartened. It felt as if I robbed that trophy away from someone who owed it. I began my speech, "A duet performance is all about the co-ordination that two partners show at the stage. It's their mutual understanding, insights and hard-work which decides their losing or winning. I feel blessed that I had such an amazing partner, Darshan Raval, with me. I believe that it would have been impossible to do this without him. Although, he is not here right now, I want to thank him for being the immense support to me. Thank you". I stepped down from the stage. I was still disappointed even after holding the golden-trophy in my hand. I had to thank Darshan for saving me yesterday. I was highly obliged and grateful to him but how would I tell him about that. He left to his home before anyone could meet him. Guilt entered me and stabbed me hard, I felt so bad of myself for not speaking to him. I was disappointed and wore up.

"Hey Nandini, I've a good news for you. Vibhas has been thrown out of the college and Dean has promised to make sure that he doesn't get appointed in any other place, for the vulgar and fickle-minded person he is", Dhriti gave me the news I expected to hear. "That's good. He deserved it. Now, let's go to the class", I said disinterested and we went to our class. Fortunately, we had to tolerate Miss Mirza for only half of the usual time. We finished the classes and went home with the trophy. Veena Maa was extremely glad to see it. Dad had already arrived so I went to him and showed him the golden trophy but instead of appreciating me, he started blaming Veena Maa for supporting me to participate in the dance competition. Well, never mind, he had this habit as a part of his daily routine and we all were already adjusted to it.