11

Beyoncé July 5, 2016
I walked down the stairs, Jay trailing after me. When we reached the bottom of the steps, he awkwardly smiled. He knew exactly what was coming. I wanted to be able to move on and let it go without turning this into a pity fest, but we both knew I couldn't. I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my jeans, forcing a smile.

"So, you two seem to be getting along really well," I commented in a strained tone.

Jay nodded, rubbing his head nervously. He looked towards the door, probably thinking about how best to leave the conversation.

"What's that like? I wouldn't know." I continued, completely abandoning the friendly pretense. My bitterness was clear in my tone.

He looked at me sympathetically and pulled me into a hug. He kissed the top of my head, and I closed my eyes, letting myself be comforted.

"This isn't forever. She'll come around. I know she will. She's just a little stubborn, like someone I know."

I smiled, pushing him back. "Get out of here. Go get my baby. I could use a hug from a daughter who doesn't wish I would drop dead."

"Yet," he added. "You still got time."

I glared at him, and he shrugged, smiling. "What? Too soon?"

I tried to punch him in the arm, but he dodged me and ran out the door. I rolled my eyes and locked it behind him. I leaned against the door, wondering what I should do. It was only 1:00 pm, but I knew I should get some sleep. I hadn't slept in over 24 hours. I was practically dead on my feet. I started towards the stairs, then changed my mind, heading for the living room instead. I was not about to climb those stairs again.

I plopped onto the couch, sprawling out. I pulled out my phone and stared at my contacts for a minute before dialing my mama's number. I listened to it ring, thinking about hanging up, but she picked up before I could disconnect.

"Hey baby, I'm glad you called. I was just about to call you."

I sat there silently, wondering how I should tell her. I had been waiting to say these words for 11 years, but not once did I think it would be under these circumstances.

"Hey Mama, I have something to tell you."

She sighed on the other end. "What's wrong, baby?" She asked gently. I could tell she was already expecting the worst.

I felt tears forming in my eyes. "They found her. They found her, Mama."

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?" A voice screamed in the background.

I frowned at the phone. "Mama, do you have me on speaker phone again?"

I heard rustling as someone picked up the phone.

"Are you saying they found August? Is that what you're saying? Are you joking, Bey?" Solange yelled into the phone, out of breath.

I rolled my eyes. Of course. Of course Solange was there. Just my luck.

"Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter you better answer me woman before I climb through this phone and beat the answers out of you!" She screamed.

"I'm not answering because it's a stupid question, Solo. Why would I joke about finding my kidnapped daughter?" I asked, annoyed. If there was one thing I was not in the mood for, it was stupid ass questions.

"Iunno Bey, but you sounding real weird for someone who just found their missing child. Just saying."

I tiredly ran a hand over my face. "Yeah, well it's a long story."