Who are You? Ch.20

Percy's POV

This is gonna be a heck of a walk. 

The first few steps were spent in silence. Neither of us had anything to say, but it wasn't like awkward silence or anything. Just a mutual feeling of I have too much going on in my head don't talk to me or else my head might blow up type of silence.

So I agreed to her request. We walked quietly, the only sounds were our footsteps against the tar road. Cars were going to frequent the roads soon, New York is never still for long.

Over the sounds of the occasional rumble of a vehicle, the world was also waking up. Birds hidden inside the leaves of trees sung  songs and small cicadas on the ground buzzed.

"You know, assuming Poseidon doesn't take someone standing on his throne nicely a second time. Just want you to know it's been a wild ride," Annabeth nudges me.

"Hey, don't say that. You make it sound like my fate is already settled," I reply.

"In a way it sort of is don't you think?" she asked.

"Nah. Even if there is only a slim possibility, it's a possibility nonetheless," I answered.

"You're right. Either way, so many crazy things have happened huh?" Annabeth reacted.

"Dang.. That's right,"

Join me for a trip down memory lane.

"When Zeus accused me of stealing his master bolt... and Luke's betrayal; my first time coming to camp half-blood; the journey to the underworld; and my first prophecy" Annabeth winced when I mentioned Luke. Sometimes old wounds never completely close.

"Uh huh. and meeting Tyson; fetching the golden fleece; escaping Luke's demon ship where you rescued black jack; plus saving Thalia.." Annabeth continued.

"Meeting Nico and Bianca; questing with the hunters of Artemis to find you; and lifting up the sky," I commented. I touched the fading grey streak in her hair. She stared at mine.

"Exploring the labyrinth; finding Daedalus and the center of the maze; not to mention meeting pan," She continued.

"Finally.. completing the prophecy; saving New York; battling Kronos's army; and going to Olympus," I concluded.

Annabeth laughs, "Don't forget," she slips her hand in mine, " meeting me."

"And everybody else at camp," I remind her.

"Them too," she adds. 

We walked hand in hand. Suddenly the long walk didn't seem as tiring anymore. The silhouette of the Empire State building loomed in view. Soon we were standing at the door mat of Olympus. At the mouth of the beast itself.

Unfortunately, it only opens to the public at 8 AM and apparently now was not then. I sat next to the side of the building while Annabeth stood beside me giving me a disapproving look.

"What? I'm tired," I joke.

"City officials will think you're a hobo. I suggest otherwise," Annabeth responded.

I stand back up and dust myself off. "Speaking of hobo-ness, by any chance do you think there's a restroom nearby?" 

"You're kidding right? We're about to taunt fate and you need to use the restroom?" Annabeth responded.

"What? A dudes gotta go when a dudes gotta go," I replied.

"There's a convenience store down the road," somebody said.

"Oh, thanks man.." I turned around and was face to face with Alatar.

"Alatar? What are you doing here?" Annabeth questioned.

"Preventing you from making the biggest mistake of your life," He advanced towards us while mystifying a sword. The entire phrase would've been extremely cool, if not for the fact that he had miscalculated the distance from his hand and the blade clunked onto the floor.

I laughed out loud as he swooped down to pick it up. "What are you talking about man? How did you find us?"

He scowled, "I'm not joking Perseus Jackson." He pointed the sword at Annabeth. " Asking for dating permission is the most horrible idea," 

"Alatar, stop talking nonsense. Why does the prospect of us.. dating such a hard thing for you to accept?" Annabeth asked.

"Because.. I like you too! And I could treat you so much better than Percy can." Alatar finalized.

I stared at him in shock. "Dude, you are not going to do what i think your going to do,"

"Oh, I am so going to do what you think I'm going to do. I'm here to stop you from talking to your parents. Even if I have to drag you two back to camp unconscious," He declared.

"DUDE. That is like. SO NOT COOL," 

I was pissed. Who does he think he is? He's been with Annabeth for like what? Two days? 

"Percy.." Annabeth backed me up and set a hand on my shoulder. "Let's talk this through Alatar. You're just being unreasonable,"

 "Unreasonable? Annabeth, he's being more than just UNREASONABLE," I argued, "Do you even see what measures he's willing to go through for something this trivial?"

"I know Percy. But we have to remain level headed," She responded.

"ENOUGH you two! I am willing to do whatever it takes! Even if it means conspiring with this dumb owl goddess!" Alatar bellowed.

"Dude, you're not even making sense right now!" I snipped.

"Whoops I mean.." Alatar's arm dropped and he turned the other way, "How do you do this again? Not so loud you dolt! Wait, the speaker is still on!" He hissed to himself.

"Huh?" Annabeth and I stared at him in confusion.

"ANYWAYS. I will do whatever it takes to stop you two from conspiring! I might even cast a spell to make you forget each other! I will.." He faltered. "Not so dramatic you idiot!" He continued.

"Bruh, like what even is going on? Are we gonna duel or what?" I asked.

"RIGHT. A duel. I challenge you to a duel. Annabeth you stay out of it. If I win you leave Annabeth forever. If you win I back away!" Alatar announced.

"Okay then!" I was interrupted by Annabeth. 

"Percy.. he's our friend. Plus he's a demigod too. We shouldn't do this," She whispered.

"Annabeth, please do you trust me?" I said gently.

"I.. I do, but isn't there a better way? A way that doesn't involve a potential battle to the death?" She pressed.

"Relax. I have a plan. I promise that I won't kill him, but while we do you need to enter the Empire State building as soon as it opens and ask to go to the 600th floor. I'll run in after you're done and we'll hurry to Olympus okay?" I reassured her.

"I hate this plan.. I really do. But okay," She agreed. Then, she backed away to watch the duel. I turned towards Alatar once more.

"ALATAR. I accept your challenge!" I yell.

"Very well, Perseus Jackson. May the best fighter win," He grinned before facing me head on.

Author's Note:

Grammar and spelling mistakes? Whoops.