Practice Ch. 8

Percy's POV

 "Let's get ready. I'll train you," I said.

 "Why can't someone else do it?" Alatar complained.

 "Because they've got their own training to do kid," I groaned. "Now, get ready,"

 Alatar scooted back a couple of feet. More demigods who also had classes gathered. Even though we were just put through a war Chiron insisted that we continued training. The Athena kids had an excuse though. I wish Annabeth were here.

 "Now, we're going to have a duel, just to see what you can do," I said.

 Alatar didn't respond. He just nodded and leveled the blade.

 I pulled out riptide. Anaklusmos. It was in it's pen form, so I uncapped it. The weight of the sword brought back memories of everything that has happened before. I lunged forward towards Alatar sword outstretched. He was still new, so I didn't expect much. Maybe that's what Luke though of me at first. Luke...

 Alatar was apparently not just a newbie. He dodged left and parred my strike with his own. Sparks flew as our swords clashed over and over again. I hated to admit it, but our skills were pretty much balanced. Alatar didn't give up, so neither could I. Minutes passed. In that amount of time I could feel myself slowly tiring. Alatar wasn't doing any better either.

 We both eventually would tire out..

 Alatar's POV 

 Damn it. Percy's persistent. Why can't he give up already? The blade clearly wasn't meant for me. It was too heavy giving me a disadvantage. It's not helping that I don't practice using a sword, like which normal kid does? but then I remembered that I'm not normal. Maybe I should use the mist. Just a little bit.

 Creepily, I used the mist to shroud Percy's eyes. A low level illusion will have to do. Maybe one of me giving up, then I can take him down. I watched as Percy lowered his weapon and smile. That was my chance. I sneaked up from behind and pointed my blade at the back of his neck. The illusion broke. I smiled as he stared in shock.

 "Wow, I have to give it to you," Percy applauded.

 I wiped the sweat off my forehead," gee thanks," I replied.

 The mummers of the other demigods died down. I'd been so busy fighting Percy I forgot to check on the crowd. Judging from their reaction I'm going to guess they were entertained. It doesn't matter either way.

 "The new camper, Alatar is skilled," said a voice from behind me. I jumped in shock. It was the weird creepy black boy that was conversing with Percy before the fight.

 "I forgot to introduce myself correctly, names Nico, son of Hades " the emo guy, Nico, said.

  "Right, Alatar son of Hecate," I replied. We shook hands.

 "I'd fight you, but you've already been put through Percy," Nico attempted to joke.

 His joke fell flat. I didn't get it. The classes continued on, but quickly ended when the sun started to set. A horn blew, perhaps signaling for dinner I guessed. Most of the campers in the class I was in (arts and crafts) had started cleaning up, and they had left in friend groups towards the dining hall. So, I followed.

 After washing my hands, getting food, burning half of that food, I finally sat down at the Hermes cabin. I can't wait till my own cabin was built, then maybe I'd get some personal space. I spotted Nico sitting alone, Percy also sitting alone, and Annabeth sitting looking lonely.

 Food was okay, and after the food came the equally as okay campfire. We sat in a ring around the fire, and got to chose our seats. IT didn't make that much of a difference though. Nico, Percy, Annabeth, and others who were apparently part of the war were treated as heroes. Whereas the new campers were just extra baggage, or a couple of free coupons. S'mores were good though. I suppose that is always a good thing. Food must really be the only thing I can trust in this world.

 It was pretty much lights out after that. I'd have to wake up to repeat this cycle all over again tomorrow. 

 Author's Note:  Not much drama. But like, I'm back from hell soooo... oh well. Hello friends that may or may not be reading this. We all know that your fan fictions are just as if not more cringy than this so F U guys. 

 Anyways, moving on.. for those that actually read this... yay! And it helps to motivate me to know that there are more greek geeks out there.

                                                                   XOX - X  

                                                                                  from over the rainbow