Chapter 12 (Edited)

----- Bryce's POV-----

As I walked along the long corridor of the pack house there were several things dancing around my mind. Most of them related to her, to Bennie. How I was unable to let go of my image, how I had taken advantage of her innocence as to not put a label on our relationship, the way I'd treated her before she was taken from me.

It was my fault for pushing her away, but Bennie was mine, they had no right to take her from me. 

Suddenly I heard Emily's voice from behind me and I turned to face her as her heels clacked along the tile.

"Bryce, what in Hades' kingdom is going on? Your father and the freak went into his office and then she just stormed off. Why is she here?" She questioned.

"Stormed off? Stormed off to where?" I replied and she crossed her arms.

"You aren't thinking of going after her are you? Come on, I had such a wonderful evening planned for us. Can't we just forget about-" I interrupted before she could finish her sentence.

"I understand this is hard for you, but you and I both knew what this was, Emily. I cannot bind myself to you the way I could with my mate. No matter what happens, if she rejects me, I need to make an effort to be there for her." I finished and before anything else could be said, her hand made contact with my cheek sharply.

"You're a liar and a user, Alpha's son. I know you'll be back, and this time you'll be begging for me to return." She hissed before turning from me and descending the stairs on the opposite corridor.

I made my way to my father's office and found him fanning a chalice of smoke.

"Dad? What's going on?" I questioned.

"Bryce, I was just helping Bennie with something. Don't worry, I'm just disposing of this potion." He nodded to me and I stepped into the room.

"Is it true that she left?" I questioned.

"Yes, she took off into the woods. She needed her space after her discovery. I'm sure she will return later tonight." He replied and I turned to leave from the room when he called to me.

"Son, I don't think it's wise to go after a woman filled with angst only to be confronted by the lover who scorned her." He nodded and I looked to the floor.

"I know it's bad timing, but I need to see her. I have to talk to her, to let her know that she still belongs with me." I replied before leaving the room.

I wandered for a good part of the evening, searching for her in the woods, near the lake and on the outskirts of our territory. I found her under a large tree, just bordering our neighboring pack. Hidden amongst the many brilliant towering trees and shrubs.

She heard my footsteps before she even laid eyes on me.

"Bryce." She spoke and I found even though her tone expressed her disdain for seeing me, I felt comfort in hearing it again.

"Bennie, my dad-" I started to speak before she interrupted me.

"I know why you're here, Bryce, your thoughts resonate loudly through these woods. I have nothing to discuss with you, and I don't believe there is anything you could say to me to make me believe anything different." She spoke.

"I...ended things with Emily." I replied, earning a sound of irritation from her.

"Yes well, it wouldn't be the first time you attempted to ease my feelings by making such a noble sacrifice." Her last words dripped with sarcasm and I felt myself flinching from the impact of their meaning.