Chapter 7 (Edited)

------Bennie's POV-------

I descended the stairs with ease as I made my way to the kitchen, preparing to make myself some breakfast when the smell of pancakes filled my senses. 

I sighed to myself, the past few weeks had been amazing. I had learned so much in so little time and it was all thanks to this incredible family. 

Although Bryce and I were unable to really go on a date, it was nice being able to walk his lands and learn more about his pack. We held hands and he never insisted on anything more, although there were times when I wished his lips lingered longer on my cheek, or for his fingers to brush the skin just above my hips for a few moments more as he guided me into the house. 

Upon entering the kitchen I noticed that Alpha Lican was bent over the stove preparing multiple plates of pancakes and I approached him. 

"Good morning, Bennie." He spoke first, sensing my presence and not even bothering to turn and face me. 

"Good morning Alpha." I greeted in return, moving to the fridge to pour myself some juice. 

"I trust these past few weeks have proven helpful? My wife tells me that you are settling into your role quite well. Your curriculum is to your liking as well, I hope?" He questioned. 

"I am forever grateful to you and the Luna Danielle for your assistance, everything is going well thank you Alpha." I smiled as he stacked piles of pancakes onto individual plates. 

It had been a few weeks since my encounter with my parents in the holding cells, Alpha and Luna Lican had provided me with the curriculum so I wouldn't have to enroll in a school program and I could finish early. Luna Danielle was helping me control my powers and I was growing stronger every day. 

"Bennie?" Alpha Lican's voice brought me out of my trance. 

"Yes, Alpha?" I replied. 

He smirked as he set a plate of pancakes down in front of me. 

"Your mind seems preoccupied, I was wondering if you wanted to eat before your training this morning?" He gestured towards the plate. 

"I'm not training with the Luna this morning, she's been called away to spend the day with Bobby. I was thinking of studying for a bit and perhaps taking a walk to the lake down the road." I smiled. 

Alpha Lican nodded and smiled to himself before taking a sip of his coffee.

"That lake has thousands of memories flowing within it. My former Beta and I used to visit it frequently for sparring, parties, anything honestly. We took his son, Owen there the summer before my mate returned to me, it was the happiest I'd ever seen him." He trailed off and stared into his coffee mug and I pondered his words momentarily. 

Curiously, I pressed a bit further.

"Owen's father, he was Luna Danielle's brother? Is that why Owen fills the position of Beta?" I asked. 

Alpha Lican nodded before answering.

"Kale was a strong man, almost stronger than I was at one point but he knew too much sorrow and not enough happiness, it drove him into a dark place. We've lost many great warriors to this land, it's slowly become cold and unforgiving, unlike the way it was when we were growing up." He spoke as if he were mourning the past and I nodded in understanding. 

In the few weeks I'd been here I'd come to know a bit about the Lican family history, the Luna Danielle suffered for years at the hands of her own pack, her own family. The former Beta Rover was exiled and Owen was attacked by the man who was out to kill Luna Danielle, but the Luna had suffered losses of her own as well.