Chapter 5 (Edited)

----------Bennie's POV---------

I no longer felt liberated.

Five days alone in my wolf form wasn't even enough to make me love the solitary life.

I don't know how long I was running for before I came across as small lake. I started lapping up some water and I gazed on the stars as I recalled the events.

No doubt Ace was telling them all about my ability to shift and my past with my parents. I wasn't sure how I was going to face them again after what had happened.

I knew they had their perimeter runners checking on me, every now and again I would feel a strong presence getting closer for a few minutes until it slowly dissipated again. I was grateful for the ability to roam free while thinking over everything that had happened. At the same time, I longed for a bath, a chance to lie down without feeling my beast having to protect me. 

I felt the presence of darker energy surrounding me suddenly and I turned towards the area of the woods that I had my back turned to. I growled and bared my teeth, I didn't have much experience with my wolf but I knew the basics of self defense based on instinct.

I expected another wolf to walk out from the woods, a rogue or another member of a different pack but to my surprise it was a man.

"Don't let your guard down now, I'm no ordinary human." He smiled sinisterly and charged me with incredible speed.

I didn't have a chance to respond before he wrapped his arm around my neck and brought me to the ground holding me down and bringing his other hand up, his nails resembling knives more than fingernails.

I panicked, scrambling to move away from his hand as quickly as I could, I moved my jaws to his leg and clamped them shut on his calf which gave me an opportunity to move my body out of the way.

He sliced my stomach and I whimpered in pain before lunging at him and catching his hand in my mouth. I bit down hard, earning a yowl from him before I made a break for the pack house. I remembered Ace's words about it being the largest building for miles around.

Don't look back, don't look back, don't look back. I chanted to myself in an effort to convince myself that there was no danger looming behind me.

I winced in pain as I shifted back into my human form and trudged slowly up the steps to the house feeling my stomach slowly repairing the damage done to my body but not quite as fast as I remember.

The lights were on as I reached for the handle, collapsing on the marbled floor leaving a bright red stain on the light flooring.

I picked myself up and attempted to climb the stairs next, feeling mud and drops of blood falling as I walked up slowly.

As I was making my way down the hallway and into the corridor where my room was, my stomach started to burn and I fell to the floor writhing in pain.

A figure came into my peripheral vision as my eyes watered, making it difficult to decipher who it was.

"Ben? Bennie!" I heard Ace exclaim as he ran towards me, using the robe from his shoulders to cover my body.

He put pressure on my wound and I hissed in pain as he spoke to me calmly. 

"It'll be ok, I promise. It'll be ok." I presumed his reassurance was more for him than it was for me.

I stared at him blankly.

"Bryce." I whispered.

"He's your mate." He nodded as he attempted to keep his attention focused on my wound.

"My mate." I strained.

His eyes widened as he realized what I was trying to say.

"Go get Bryce."

He snarled at someone.

"But he's-" 

They tried to protest but were cut off by Ace's vicious growl.

"Right away, sir." 

They replied before taking off down the hall.

"It's alright Bennie, Bryce is coming to make it all better."

----------Bryce's POV-----------

It had been over five days since we'd last seen Bennie.

Her parent's were being dealt with by my father and the Elder's council.

I forced Ace to confess what he knew about my mate and bring forth the evidence to the Elder's court, we'd jumped through all of the official hurdles they threw at us just for them to tell us they needed Bennie to testify against them.

I wondered where she was, the last I'd heard from a runner was she was spotted near the lake close to one of the pack safe houses.

"Bryce!"

Adrian burst through my door, making me jump up swiftly.

"What?" I hissed as I slipped my boxers on.

"She's back." He said and I pushed him out of the way, sprinting down the hall.

"Where is she? Oh my gods..." I gasped as I saw the gash that ran from her right hip all the way to her left hip.

I felt my eyes well up and the lump in my throat knotted as I grappled with the agony my mate was feeling and the anger towards whoever did this.

"Bennie...oh, Bennie. I'm so sorry." I whispered.

I took her out of Ace's arms and held her close to me. Suddenly she started to cough and I looked at her with concern, she
nestled herself into my chest, I sighed and watched as her gash turned into a scar right before my eyes.

I needed to protect her, there were no more games. 

I didn't care that the council intended to investigate the circumstances of her shifting, or what anyone would think, Bennie was mine to protect, and I would do it with my life. 

So sorry about this chapter, I know it's super short. Anyway I hope you enjoyed this story, thanks for reading. jk jk I'll be uploading more often now because school is out and I have a little more time. I hope you enjoyed thanks!