Chapter 26 (Edited)

---Bryce POV---

I woke again with a gasp, I'd been having the same recurring dream for the past few weeks as we stayed with Solina.

It was the same nightmare from before, the same one from the night I found out the truth behind my fate.

Deciding to find some space from these thoughts, I stepped out of the castle, feeling the cool midnight air caress my bare torso.

My rustling must have startled Adrian as he sat up from the tree he was leaning against. He often did this when he struggled to adjust to the difference in time.

"Bry...you alright man?"

He asked, I nodded, running a hand through my hair.

"Don't worry about me, just a bad dream is all. Go on and get some sleep, I'm just going to go for a run." I said.

He either took in my disheveled appearance or some of my Alpha authority seeped into my words, as he just nodded, picking up his water bottle and walking back into the tent.

 I jogged into the forest. I had always loved the feeling of running barefoot, it was the closest I could get to my wolf without shifting. Although our senses as wolves were heightened, in human form, we could feel things that other humans could not.

The feeling of the dirt beneath my feet as I pushed further, taking the run in long strides made me feel free. The vibrations from animals in all directions of the forest, and the smell of freshwater led me to the stream.

The moons beamed down onto my sweating form as I squatted next to the stream, cupping my hand in the water and bringing it to my lips, I sighed and wiped my hand behind my neck and over my face.

Looking up into the sky and gazing at the stars that danced around the moons, I spoke. As if my gods could hear me from this world.

"What do I do?"

I felt my throat clench up at the thought of what I had last done to Bennie, I practically gave her right to the dark lord.

I admit that I'd fucked up, I deserved to be apart from her but I couldn't even fathom the thought of her leaving me forever, being away from her, being rejected. Contrary to some beliefs, it was actually frowned upon and if the status of a werewolf was as high as my family's, it was even punishable by banishment if a mate was rejected.

My father, being the Alpha of his pack had rejected my mother, and instead of waiting for a pack meeting, she banished herself. Thoughts of my family had my heart swelling in my chest momentarily. 

"I just want to understand, I want one last chance to redeem myself. Please."  I pleaded, wishing the gods would hear me. 

I sat back and rested my arms at the top of my knees, placing my head to rest on my arms.

A gentle breeze seemed to pick up suddenly and I noticed a strange animal, staring into my eyes from the other side of the stream. It looked like a large cat with ears and a tail like a rabbit. I took a step in its direction. 

Surprisingly, it didn't move a muscle so I took another step and another until I was a few mere feet away from it. Just as I extended my hand to it, it ran away and for some reason I found myself chasing after it. 

After some time of back and forth with the strange animal, I heard someone speaking. 

"Bryce?"

I stood up straight, startled by his voice and realizing that I was in the courtyard of the castle. 

"Silas, by all the gods, you scared me," I spoke.