Chapter 28

Lucy and Koi stood outside the cabin in front of Cora and Boone for what could possibly be the last time.

"Now, are you sure you'll be fine, Lucy? It's a pretty long journey in your condition, sweetheart?" Cora asked, rubbing Lucy's large stomach.

"Yes, Ms. Cora, I'll be fine." Lucy smiled at the worried woman.

"Well, take this blanket for when it gets cold. Here's a little knapsack of food. I put a few special things in there for you," She winked, "Don't be on your feet too long. And, be sure to take care of yourself and that baby, sweetheart." She hugged the younger girl, placing a kiss on her cheek before releasing her.

"Don't be a stranger, you hear, girl?" Boone said, pulling Lucy into a tight hug. When he released her, she took in a breath of air and looked at the two of them.

"Thank y'all so much fa everything y'all done did fa me. I can never thank y'all enough." She smiled, rubbing her stomach.

"You're family, sweetheart. You don't have to thank us." Cora smiled, wiping her eyes.

Lucy looked up at stoic-faced Koi and grabbed his hand. "Ya ready, Koi?"

He looked down into her brown doe-like eyes, squeezed her hand, and nodded while remaining stone-faced.

"Thank you for protecting and caring for Lucy." He gritted out before turning and walking away, tugging a waddling Lucy behind. She looked back one more time and waved at the older couple, earning a wave back from them. With their gifts in one hand and Koi's hand in the other, Lucy followed him into the woods and back to the tribe's camp.

~~~

"We should set up camp here and contiue in the morning. We have travelled far enough for today." Koi said.

"No, Koi, I'm fine. We can make it back ta da tribe while da sun's still up. I just needed ta sit fa a minute."

"Lucy, you need to the rest. It is not wise to continue this long travel while you are withchild."

"We halfway dere! I can make da res' o' da way!" Lucy argued.

"No, Lucy. We are making camp and finishing the journey in the morning."

"Well, ya make camp an' stay here 'til mornin'! I'm goin' 'head an' finishin' dis! I'll see ya when ya make it back to da tribe!" Lucy exclaimed. She stood up from the log she was sitting on, grabbed the knapsack and blanket that Ms. Cora had given her, and waddled deeper into the forest.

"Lucy, you do not know where you are going! Come back here now before you get hurt!" Koi demanded.

She ignored her lover's demands and continued walking. She was determined to make it back to the tribe's camp, even though certain danger awaited for her. The way she saw it, she'd be damned whether she made camp there or returned to the tribe. She would either be caught by white men and Koi would protect her, or she would be the target for his father's agression and he would protect her. No matter the case, she would be in trouble and Koi would protect her. 

The baby continued to kick and turn in her stomach, sometimes with a little more force than she'd expect.

"Now calm on down, baby. I know ya wanna come out, but not yet." She rubbed her stomach with one hand as she walked. 

"I wonda what Ms. Cora done put in dis sack." She thought aloud. She peaked into it, seeing 6 apples, a jar of peach preserve, a few slices of bread, and 2 books. She smiled as she realized that the books were the  'little something' she put in there for her. She closed the sack back and continued walking.

After walking for another hour or 2, Lucy sat down to take some stress off of her swollen feet and gain back some of her strength. About 3 minutes later, Koi walked up to where she was sitting and looked down at her with a straight face.

"Are you finished being stubborn, you little ass?" He asked.

Lucy looked up at him with a fierce glare. "Ya were followin' me da whole time!"

"You, surely, did not believe I was going to let you travel through the forest alone." He groaned, looking up at the sky and then back down at his young stubborn lover. "You have become more of a headache since you have began carrying my seed. When we first met, it was cute and I could merely laugh at you. Now, you are becoming much more of a hassle, putting yourself and our child in danger. You are becoming more demanding and stubborn, which is a nuisance. You are unaware of the dangers in front of you."

"I'm fully aware o' da dangas in front o' me! If we made camp, dere's da danga o' white men findin' me an' takin' me! When we get back ta da tribe, dere's da danga o' ya pa! I know I'm in dangas waitin' fa me, but I ain't gotta worry 'bout none o' dat 'cause ya gon' protect me, no matta what! I know I'm stubborn, but damnit dat's how I been! If I wasn't stubborn, I'd still be in dem damned fields, pickin' cotton an' gettin' whipped! If I wasn't stubborn, I wouldn't a met ya! So, bein' stubborn, along wit' da grace o' God, has helped me!" She shouted. He looked at her with a surprised look as she calmed herself down and rubbed her stomach.

"Now, are we gon' head back ta da tribe or not?" She asked.

"You have, also, become more aggressive and emotional since you have began carrying my seed." He leaned down and kissed her forehead. He grabbed her hands and pulled her off the log. Once she was standing, she reached up and slapped him.

"Don't eva call me an ass, again!" She grabbed their things and started walking. Koi, merely, chuckled as he rubbed his stinging cheek and followed behind Lucy.

~~~

After 3 more stops to let Lucy sit and rest, 2 more pregnancy hormone-based outbursts, 4 apples, a third of a jar of peach preserves, and 3 slices of bread, the couple had finally arrived back at the tribe's camp. Upon seeing them, the tribesmembers greeted them and some kids ran up and attached themselves at their waists. The kids looked at Lucy's stomach in awe, rubbing it and squealing when they felt the baby kick at their hands. In the midst of the excitement, Koi's mother exited out of her and her husband's hut to investigate the joyous noises. Seeing her son's glowing young lover brought tears to her eyes. She was aware that she had been okay in these past 7 months, but seeing her as she held her growing grandchild in her stomach reaffirmed it.

"My young Lucy." She smiled, walking up to her and embraced her in a motherly hug. She released the girl to better examine her and her growing stomach. "I see the child is growing."

As the excitement attracted more tribesmembers out of their huts, it also gained the attention of one elderly man. When he exited his hut to see what was going on, the air seemed to become still. Koi felt this and looked up. Noticing a change in his demeanor, Lucy looked up, as well, and met the stone cold glare of Koi's father.