Chapter 22

"Ms. Cora, can I as' ya somethin'?" Lucy asked, adding patches to the quilt she had been helping Cora with.

"Sure, sweetheart, what is it?" Cora asked as she stirred the stew on the stove.

"What's ya boy's name?"

"Aldan."

"Where's he?"

"He left about 6 years ago to go to Maine."

"Why'd he go?"

"He wanted to get out on his own and make a living for himself. He became a blacksmith, got married, and him and his wife had a baby girl 4 years ago. They're expecting another baby in a few months." She smiled.

"Ya miss him?"

"Of course, I do. But, he writes often. Knowing that he's happy makes us happy."

As she continued quillting, Boone came stomping in.

"The snow's finally startin' to melt." He stated, gruffly.

"Oh, thank God! I'm tired of seeing all of this snow!"

"Yep! Some good huntin', fishin', and crops are right around the corner."

"About time. I'm tired of all this cured meat and jarred fruits and vegetables."

"Now, don't start all that complaining, Coralee! That food's done us good!"

"Hush up, Boone! Get washed up and sit down! Dinner's about ready." 

Booned mumbled something under his breath as he washed his hands and took his seat at the dinner table.

"Lucy, put that quilt there down, girl, and get over here for dinner. Your skinny tail can't be missin' dinner." Boone said.

"Yes, Mr. Boone." Lucy put the quilt down on the rocking chair, washed her hands, and sat at the table.

~~~

"Koi, stop it." Lucy whispered, giggling. Koi hovered over her on the small bed, stroking and tickling her leg. Koi smiled down at her and placed his lips on hers, silencing her giggles.

"I spoke to my mother last night. She fears for you and our child. She wants us to come back. "

"I can't go back. Ya daddy gon' kill me."

"I am aware of this, little one, and so is she. These problems will work themselves out. This I promise you."

"Okay." She looked down at their naked bodies. He lifted her head back up so that they were looking at each other.

"I love you."

"I love ya, too." They kissed, until they heard barking outside. They sat up in the bed, looking towards the window.

Koi stood from the bed and crept over to the window. 

"What is it, Koi?" Lucy had the quilt covering her chest.

"White men and dogs. They are walking to the-" A series of knocks echoed through the cabin. A bed downstairs creaked and Boone started grumbling as his hard footsteps made their way to the door. Koi went over to the loft opening and listened to what was being said.

"Hello, Boone, I'm sorry to disturb you and the misses so late." An unknown voice greeted.

"What's the problem, Peter? Why do you got these dogs barkin' around my property and wakin' up me and my wife?"

"The snow's meltin', so a lot of men are reporting a bunch of missin' niggers."

"What's that got to do with my family?"

"Listen, Boone. You're a dear friend of mine, but since your son went and made a family with a nigger, people think you got some hidin' in your house."

Lucy wasn't sure if she heard right or if her ears were playing a joke on her. Boone and Cora's son married a black woman? When Ms. Cora was telling her about their son and his family, it never occurred to her that his wife was black and their baby girl was a mulatto. She knew mulattos back on the plantation and that wasn't a rare occurrence for her. But, a marriage between a black woman and a white man? A marriage between a black person and a white person, period? She couldn't even comprehend the mere thought of it. Even though blacks were free up north, she didn't think they were that free. She looked at Koi, thinking about their blended relationship.

"You listen, Peter. I ain't goin' to let you talk bad about my son, daughter, and granddaughter. Now, I ain't got no slaves here. So, get your shit-talkin' mouth off my property before I shoot you and them damn dogs for disturbing me and my wife."

"Sorry to disturb you, Boone." The door closed and Boone groaned.

"They're starting to search again?" Cora asked.

"Yeah. We need to keep a more watchful eye on Lucy. With the snow meltin', they'll be coming over this way more often, not to mention, people ridin' by in the day. Once the snow has fully melted, we need to get her up north and quick."

"Boone, the snow's going to be gone in a few months. We can't send her out so soon."

"We can send her to stay with Alden and Tilly."

"They have kids to take care of."

"She can help out with the kids."

"Boone... We'll talk about this in the morning. Now, come back to bed. You're going to wake Lucy." Soon, their voices were replaced with loud snoring.

"When the sun comes up, I will go and speak to Ahanu. You and our child need sleep." Koi got dressed and placed a kiss on Lucy's forehead before jumping out the window.