Chapter 24

Koi's face contorted in pain as Lucy cleaned his wound with grain alcohol and a bowl of soap and water. Cora started dinner, while Boone downed a glass of corn whiskey. Blue stood at Koi's feet, sniffing him. Koi was in too much discomfort to pay any mind to the old hound. No one spoke; the only sounds vibrating through the cabin were the crackling fire in the fireplace, Boone gulping down liquor, and Koi's occasional hissing.

"So..." Boone disrupted the tension in the room, "how do you know this... man, Lucy?"

Lucy looked up at Boone as she squeezed out the bloody rag and began bandaging Koi's wounded arm.

"I ran 'way from ma massah back in summa in da middle of da night. I was tryin' to get up north an' get a new life as a teacha, or a seamstress, or some'. While I was runnin', Koi thought I was a deer an' shot an arrow into ma leg. He took me back to his tribe, had his mama clean me up, an' let me stay wit 'em. I been wit 'im an' his tribe since da summa." Lucy looked up at Koi as she told her story with a certain brightness in her eyes. He looked back at her with pain and love-filled eyes.

"And y'all are expectin' a baby?"

"Yes, Mr. Boone." She turned her eyes away from Koi and towards Boone.

"When did this happen?"

Lucy's face heated up, knowing what he meant. "Some time in da fall." She muttered, looking at Koi's bandaged arm.

"Why'd you leave, then, girl? You carryin' a baby and runnin' through snow in the dead of winter, like somethin' wrong with your head."

"Koi's papa don't care fa me, since I'm a nigger. He knew dat I was carryin' Koi's baby an' wanted me dead. One day, when I was fishin', Koi's cousin tried ta have his way wit me. I got scared, grabbed his knife, an' killed 'im. I couldn't go back 'cause I knew he'd kill me fa killin' his kin, so I ran. Dat's how I got in ya shed. Koi followed ma footsteps in da snow an' found me here. He went back ta his tribe two weeks ago ta talk ta a frien'. He was comin' back today ta tell me what dey talked 'bout."

Boone leaned back in his chair and sighed. Cora looked between the young couple and her husband while remaining quiet.

"What'd you come to tell Lucy here, boy?" Boone grunted out.

Koi looked at Boone with a stoic expression. Lucy looked between the two men before she settled her eyes on Koi. She knew that, although he didn't have a general liking of them, he didn't despise white people.She but she also knew when one shoots you with the intent of killing you while calling you a savage, there's bound to be some animosity.

"Koi, what'd ya come ta tell me?" She asked, holding his hand.

He gripped her hand in his and looked down at her. "We will talk later, small one."

"Bu-"

"Later, small one. There will be time to talk later."

"But, Koi-"

"That's enough of all that for right now. It's dinner time. Will you be staying to eat with us, K-"

"No. I must go." He stated in an emotionless tone as he stood up from his chair.

"Oh, please stay. Lucy's eyes are the brightest I've ever seen. She wants you here." Cora said.

He looked down at his young lover who looked back up at him with glassy eyes and still held onto his hand. He stroked her cheek and leaned down into her face.

"I will be back when they are sleeping." He whispered to her before placing a kiss on her forehead. He got one more look at her before he straightened out and walked out of the cabin without uttering another word.

"Strange people they are." Boone grumbled. Cora shot him a disapproving look and placed his plate in front of him. She sat another plate in front of Lucy, stroking her hair back lovingly before returning to the stove. Lucy looked down at her plate and ate in silence, waiting for the night to come.

~~~

Once night arrived and Boone and Cora retired to bed, Lucy waited for Koi by the loft window. Keeping his promise, he climbed through the window half an hour after Boone and Cora fell asleep.

The couple shared a brief and intimate kiss and then sat on the floor next to the chimney.

"What'd ya need ta tell me, Koi?" She persisted, holding his hands.

"We are returning to the tribe." He stated.

"What? Why? What 'bout ya papa?"

"I will handle the problems with my father. He will no longer be a problem."

"What ya mean?"

"I am the next chief of the tribe. My father may be the present chief, but I am stronger and more powerful than he is. If he will not respect my family," he placed his hand on her growing stomach, "then I will take my place as chief early."

Lucy looked at him with confusion covering her face. "I don't understand. What're ya talkin' 'bout, Koi?"

"It will make sense in due time. If he does not show signs of weakness or spirit loss by the arrival of spring, then I will strip him of his title."

"But, I thought we was goin' up north?"

Koi sighed, held onto Lucy's hands tighter, and looked her right in the eyes. "My young sweet Lucy. I love you more than I can express with words. My love for you has no bounds. You are the other half of my heart. As much as I love you, I realized today that I could not live up north with you. I am not able to live around white people. I cannot function in their society. I have no role in their society. My role is within my society with my people.

"Your role in their society is as property. You have an actual role in my people's society. You give life. You keep others alive through growing and harvesting crops. You were learning how to heal to keep people healthy. You are needed in our society; as a provider, as a healer, as a lover, as a mother, as a wife." He placed his hand on the side of her neck and brought her head towards his, causing their foreheads to touch.

Lucy moved closer to him and laid her head on his chest, listening to the thumping rhythm of his heart. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and kept her close to his chest.

"When can I come back ta da tribe?" She asked, softly.

"Once spring arrives."