Chapter 21

Lucy maneuvered the knife under the scales of the beheaded trout. She shivered as she worked in the shed and a gust blew in. She had never filleted a fish before, but she caught on quickly. In the midst of deboning the fish, the shed became darker and the nose from outside was barely audible. She looked to her right, seeing someone closing the shed doors. The person's back was turned towards her, but she immediately recognized the long black braid that hung down the stranger's back.

"Koi!" She exclaimed, running over to him. Turning around, the older man caught his lover in his arms with ease when she ran over to him. She wrapped her arms around his muscular neck and hugged him as he wrapped his arms around her small waist. After a few moments, Koi placed Lucy back on her feet and looked down at her.

"How have you been, my little one?" He cupped her face and she leaned into his hand.

"I'm fine. Where'd ya go tha otha night? Where'd ya sleep? Did ya go back to tha tribe?"

"Calm yourself, little one," Koi chuckled, stroking her cheek, "I set up camp a little ways from here. My desire was to be close to you, but remain unseen by the white people. I am able to watch over you and our child." He placed his hand on her growing stomach and looked down at it.

"When can we be togetha, Koi? I miss ya."

"I know, my sweet Lucy. I want us to be togther again, but it is still too dangerous for you to be out here for long. It is too cold for you to be traveling, especially while you are withchild."

She nodded her head, understanding why they had to wait to be together.

"Are the white people treating you well? Are you being fed?"

"Yes, Koi, they're very nice. Have ya tried t'go back to ya tribe?"

"No. Once I found you, I have stayed near. I wish not to be far from you."

"But won't dey worry if ya don't come back soon?"

"Perhaps they will worry. But their worry for me cannot stand to my worry for you." He kissed her forehead and hugged her. Lucy hugged back, clutching his hide coverings in her hands.

"Koi, what'll we do when we leave?"

"What were you going to do before I...," He rubbed the leg that had officially scarred, "injured you?"

The incident had happened so long ago, she nearly forgot why she left the plantation. Her talk with Coralee the other day refreshed her memory.

"Go up north."

"Then, we will go up north."

"Are ya sure? I don' wanna take ya from ya tribe an' family."

"You and this baby are my family. But I must ask you something, Lucy."

"What?"

"My father is growing older. I am the next in line for chief. If my father was to pass on soon, would you want to be the wife of a chief?"

Lucy looked at him, thoughtfully. The question was more loaded than she expected. Not only was he asking her to return to his tribe with him, but he was asking her to marry him upon their return. 

"I'd go back to ya tribe wit' ya in a lick. But, what if he don' pass an' we can't go back?"

"Then, would you want to be the wife of a red man?" He smiled.

Lucy giggled at his joke on himself and nodded her head.

"I'm havin' a baby wit' a red man, ain't I?"

Koi smiled and leaned down, pressing his lips against those of his black lover and betrothed. While they were in each other's arms, Lucy's mind began wandering. Koi's father is growing old, but it didn't seem like he would be passing anytime soon. She knew Koi was a tranquil and loving man, but she knew he was, also, a dominate and aggressive one, especially toward his father. It seemed as though the aggression between them only grew, more so with Koi. Was his aggression finally at it's breaking point? If so, Lucy feared for his father.

"Coralee, I'm gettin' damn tired of that mouth of yours! You got one more time to run it before I nail it shut!" Boone yelled. The sound of the door being closed vibrated through the air, along with the sound of crunching snow and Boone's mumbling.

"Mr. Boone's comin'!" Lucy pulled away and looked around for a place to hide Koi.

"Calm yourself, little one. I am departing now. Do not fall asleep too early." He pressed his lips on her forehead once more before quickly slipping out of the shed.

Lucy waited for Boone to start yelling again after seeing Koi, but nothing came. Soon, the shed doors opened and Boone stood there.

"You done scaling them fish there, miss lady?" Boone chuckled.

"Yes, Mr. Boone. Scaled, deboned, an' ready fa cookin'."

"Good, little girl. I just wanted to check on you. I wanted to make sure you was safe and no one was messin' with you."

"Who'd be messin' with me, Mr. Boone?"

"I don't know. I've been gettin' some strange feelin's lately. Like something or someone is lurking around the cabin." Lucy's eyes got big and her heart rate accelerated. "It may just be a feelin, but my feelin's are always right. I got a feelin' one mornin' to check the shed while I was settin' traps, and sure 'nough, I find you in the hay like a field mouse. When you get a feelin', follow it. You remember that now. Now, c'mon and bring that fish in so that Cora can clean and cook it."

Lucy followed Boone out of the shed and into the cabin, looking back and praying that Koi was safe and, not to mention, calm.