Chapter 7

Lucy sat in the center of Koi's hut, building a fire. Winter was soon approaching, meaning that the days were starting to cool down tremendously. Koi was outside of the hut and talking to his friends, leaving Lucy alone with her thoughts.

Ever since they shared a kiss last week, it seems as though Lucy has become more preoccupied in her thoughts. If she's not thinking about the North, she's thinking about getting caught and taken back to the plantation. If she's not thinking about getting caught, she's thinking about her place in the tribe. If she's not thinking about the tribe, she's thinking about Koi.

Koi.

The mere thought of him causes her other thoughts to be washed from her brain. His long black hair pulled into a ponytail, his towering height, his red skin, his smile, the gentle way he looks at her, the way his soft lips pressed against hers as his hands-

Lucy was snapped out of her recurring thoughts of Koi when he stepped into the hut, causing her to jump. Koi chuckled at her small reaction and closed the flaps of his hut. He made his way over to Lucy and sat next to her as she placed some more dried moss into the glowing fire.

Koi moved closer to Lucy, causing their thighs to touch. An unnoticeable shiver ran up Lucy's spine, as memories of their kiss flooded her mind. She fiddled with some dried moss in her hand, her thoughts preventing her from tossing it into the fire.

"You are troubled, Lucy." Koi said, staring into the fire.

"Huh? No I ain't. I'm fine." She answered.

"You have been quiet for some time. What is troubling you, small one?"

 "Whatchu talkin' 'bout? I'm fine. I aint troubled." She threw more moss into the fire, trying to ignore Koi's intense stare.

"I have been thinking." Koi stated, turning his attention towards the fire.

"'Bout what?"

"You."

Lucy tried to contain her shock, unable to slow down her raging heart.

"Why've you been thinkin' 'bout me?"

"I feel a strong connection to you that I have never felt with any other woman. I am a man. I should have found my mate and had a child by now. But, I have not yet found a woman who I wish to mate with. But, I have met you, now."

"W-whatchu tryna say, Koi?" Lucy studdered, having an idea about what he was talking about.

Koi spun Lucy around, so that they were facing face to face. He stared into her eyes as she stared back. His hands gripped her arms and pulled her close to him, making their chests touch. Koi sat on his knees, causing him to tower over Lucy as they sat on the floor.

"Do you feel it, Lucy? Do you feel our hearts beating? I can feel your heart beat, and you can feel mine. They beat as one. They beat as one heart. They beat as the heart of one human. We are one human. We complete each other. You are mine, and I am yours. I know you are young and are not ready for such strong feelings. But, slowly, you will be ready and I will guide you through every feeling that your body and spirit experiences."

As he finished speaking, both of them realized how close their mouths had gotten. Lucy breathed heavily, unsure why she was doing it.

"How'll I know when I'm ready?" She asked.

Koi smiled, moving his hand from one of her arms and using it to gently stroke her cheek.

"I cannot say for I do not know. Only you know when you will be ready. You must listen to your heart. It will tell you when you are ready. But, until then," He grabbed her head, moved it down, and placed a kiss on her forehead, "I will wait for you. I must go now. I must meet with Father." He removed his hands from her and stood up to exit the hut. Lucy sat on the ground, a strange shiver coursing through her veins.