Chapter 27

Lucy looked at Koi, her hands pausing on his shoulders. His face was unmoving as he stared forward. Most of the mud had been washed off, but he didn't seem to care whether or not he was clean.

"Koi, I-I don't wanna go back yet." She stuttered, continuing the task of washing her lover clean.

"We must return before the white-"

"Mr. Boone an' Ms. Cora ain't done a damn thing ta me 'cept give me a place ta stay an' food ta eat! Dey ain't like white folk! Dey nice! I ain't goin' back an' leavin' this nice family so ya pa can try an' kill me an' my baby again! I ain't leavin'!" Lucy exclaimed.

"You are coming back with me to-"

"No, I ain't! I ain't comin' back 'til I know ya pa ain't gonna try an' hurt me an' da baby!"

"You will come back today with me, Lucy."

"I tol' ya no! I said no an' I mean no!" Lucy stood up, soap in her hand, and started stomping back towards the cabin. Her stomach and the weight of a soaking wet dress slowed down her progress. Koi stood up, wet and naked, and followed after her. With his long legs and her short pregnant steps, he caught up to her immediately. He grabbed her arms and spun her around so that she was looking up at him.

"Look at me, Lucy." 

"No! Get ya damn hands-"

"Look at me!" He demanded with a raised voice. Lucy shut her mouth, surprise and fear swirling around her eyes. Koi had never raised his voice at her and it frightened her slightly.

"Would I ever let anything bad happen to you?! Would I ever let anyone hurt you?! I love you and will never let you get hurt! My father will be dealt with upon our return!" His grip on her arms tightened with each exclamation. She looked up at him with glistening eyes and a quivering lip. He looked into her sad face and sighed. He released her arms and took her face into his hands.

"I am sorry for my actions, small one." He placed a kiss on her forehead and looked down at her. Tears raced down her face and he wiped them away with his thumbs. "Do not cry, small one."

"What if ya gone one day an' he kills me an' da baby?" More tears rushed down her face.

"He will not hurt or kill you or our child, Lucy. I promise you that. But, if you are still worried, then you may remain here. Once our child is born, you will return with me to the tribe."

She nodded her head and leaned into his touch. He tilted her head up and their lips met. Lucy pulled away from the kiss and looked down, giggling.

"Koi, ya naked. Putcha clothes back on." She said, smiling. Koi looked down, as well, and smiled.

"As you wish." He walked back to the edges of the creek to retrieve his clothing, Lucy's eyes shifted down to his muscular back and behind. Her face heated up and she looked down at her feet, giggling in embarrassment. He had muscles running down his back that she didn't think existed and a behind that she could bounce a pebble off of. Her face got warmer and she began to giggle more at the thoughts that ran through her head.