Chapter 19

The sound of carriage wheels crushing snow could be heard from inside the cabin. Lucy looked up from her place at Boone's small wooden table and turned her head towards the door, waiting to see who was going to come in. Before anybody knocked, Boone unlocked the door and walked outside. Lucy stood up from her seat, ready to greet whoever was about to come in. Boone came in, with two sutcases in hand, and a woman followed behind him. Lucy looked at the woman who's head was looking out the window next to the fireplace. Blue looked up at the woman from in front of the fireplace, and then laid his head back down.

"Cora!" Boone said, getting the woman's attention."

"Yes, honey?" She snapped her head away from the window and looked at him.

"Whatcha lookin' at? Ain't nothin' out there that you can see at this time o' night."

"I know. I was lookin' at the fireplace, wonderin' why we need a fireplace and wood stove. Do you want the house to be a blazin' hell?" The woman asked.

"Now, don't you start this mess wit' me again, woman. I done told you that the fireplace is for dryin' clothes and warmin' up when it's cold, and wood stove is strictly for cookin'. A wood stove can't dry clothes in winter. It was a good buy."

"It was a frivolous buy."

"You gonna stop talkin' this mess here, Coralee. We got company." Boone motioned towards the standing Lucy.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, sweetheart! I didn't even see you standing there. This man got so much stuff around this cabin and you're so small, you just blend right in!"

"You better watch that mouth of yours, Coralee." Boone warned. Coralee waved him off and walked over to Lucy, taking her hands in hers.

"I'm Coralee, Boone's wife. What's your name, sweetheart?"

"Lucy, ma'am." Lucy said, putting her head down and not making eye contact.

"Now, you pick your head back up and stop all that 'ma'am' nonsense, makin' me feel old. Let me take a look at you." She turned Lucy completely around. "My, you're a small thing. My dress is practically falling right off of you. But, don't worry, I'm sure that'll change real soon." Coralee winked.

Did she mean somthing by that? Lucy thought.

"Now, c'mon, sit, sit, sweetheart. Boone told me what happened to you, and you need to gain back all of your energy after almost dying. So, you can stay here for as long as you need to and eat 'til you can't move no more!"

"Thank you, Ms. Coralee." Lucy smiled, shyly.

"I'll let you slide with the 'Ms.', but just because you're so sweet and polite." Coralee smiled. "Boone, why haven't you made this child some food?"

"It's cookin', Coralee! Don't rush me, woman!"

Lucy watched the bickering couple in amusement, smiling and laughing to herself. As they bickered, she looked out the window they were standing in front of. Just as she looked, something moved. She figured it was her mind playing tricks on her and turned back to the couple, side-eyeing the window every so often.