Chapter 11

"No, Koi!"

"My little Lucy, I assure you th-"

"I said no!"

"It has been 2 sun rises. I feel be-"

"Boy, look at me! I done said no! Ya motha is trainin' me ta be a healer and says ya gotta listen me! Now, lay back down!" Lucy scolded while wrapping up a small 6-year old girl's arm. The little girl came crying to Lucy's hut with blood streaming down her arm, telling her how she was playing with the big kids and tripped and cut her arm while trying to keep up. Although Lucy barely understood the child's story through her sobs, she cleaned up the cut and began tending to it.

Now, the little girl, with dried tear trails on her face, watched the dialogue between her older fellow tribe members. She had a small smile on her face as she saw the love between the two young adults, despite her young age and their fighting.

"Koi, ya ain't well! Nobody gits dat sick an' is magically betta in no 2 days! Lay ya tail back down! Ya still coughin' an' gots a feva!"

Koi only smiled at his young unofficial lover as she glared at him. As much as he would love to spend more alone time with her, he was itching to return outside to continue preparing for winter.

Just as he was about to reply to Lucy's scolding, clopping and neighing was heard outside. Koi, Lucy, and the young girl turned towards the entrance, confused by the noise.

"Stay in here." Koi said, looking at both girls before exiting the hut. He looked towards the center of camp, seeing 3 horses carrying 3 male members of a different tribe. One of the men jumped down from his horse and looked around the camp. His face dawned red face paint in an intricate design. Koi recognized the face markings and realized what tribe these men belonged to. Koi hoped that one of the men wasn't a specific person, but when the man on the middle horse jumped off and turned around, his hopes were dashed.

The man's eyes landed on Koi's stony expression and a venomous smirk came across his face.

"Koi. My blood. It has been many moons since we have seen each other. How have you been?" His smirk never vanished off of his face.

"Why are you here?" Koi bit out.

"Such anger from you, Koi. Are you not happy to see me? A man from the same blood as you?"

"Koi, what's goin-"

"Lucy, back in the hut! Now!" Koi said in a raised voice, looking at Lucy.

"Who're ya tal-"

"Lucy, now!" He yelled, causing Lucy to immediately retreat back into the hut.

Koi turned his head away from Lucy's hut and back to the man in front of him, who was still looking at Lucy's hut.

"A negro girl, Koi? A slave negro girl? An escaped slave negro girl, I suppose? She is quite beautiful, Koi." A glint appeared in the man's eye. Before Koi could grab ahold of the man and shake the glint out of his eye, the Chief came from his hut.

"Apenimon, my nephew!" The Chief greeted, opening his arms and walking towards the man.

A sour taste made its way into Koi's mouth upon hearing his cousin's name. How could such a man be called worthy of trust? He should've been named Askook. His characteristics and personality were similar to those of a snake.

"Hello, my uncle. How have you been?" The two men embraced and then let go of each other.

"Why are we talking about myself? You are our guest. We should be talking about you. It is not everyday the son of my younger brother travels so far from his territory. What brings you and your men?"

By this time, most of the tribe members erupted from their huts to see what was going on.

"My men and I were on our way up north when we heard that winter has come early in the north and the snow has begun to pile up. After traveling for so long, we needed to stop and regain our strength." Apenimon said.

"Well, you are always welcome to stay with my tribe! You may rest for as long as you need to."

"That is very kind of you, Uncle, but where will me and my men stay? We would feel absolutely horrible if we had to impose on one of your tribe members." Apenimon shifted his eyes to Koi, displaying his venomous smirk and glint in the eye once again. Koi knew what he was doing, and he would be damned if he allowed it to happen, no matter what his father said.

"You will lodge with the negro. There is plenty of room in her hut."

"Are you sure she will not mind us staying with her?"

"You will stay with her and that is final. Tie up your horses and Koi will show you to your hut." His father shot him a look before turning around and returning to his hut.

Apenimon turned his head to Koi, smirking. "You heard him. Show us to the negro girl's hut."

Koi glared at his cousin and began walking to Lucy's hut. He entered it, seeing Lucy holding the little girl in her lap.

"Little one, run along now." Koi said, looking down at her. Hearing the authority in his voice, the little girl stood up and scampered out of the hut.

"Koi, what's hap-"

"My, my, you are a beautiful young negro. The most beautiful I have ever gazed upon." Apenimon said, entering Lucy's hut and looking at her.

"Koi, who's dis?" She asked.

"How rude of me. I am the older cousin of Koi. My name is Apenimon. What is your name, little negro girl?"

"Lucy." She said, giving Apenimon a weird look.

"Such a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. My men and I have been ordered the Chief, my uncle, to lodge in your hut with you until we can gain our strength back and head back to our tribe. I would like to say that I am very happy with his order." Apenimon's sickly smirk caused Lucy's skin to crawl in an uncomfortable manner.

"You will not be staying in here with her. She will stay in my hut, far away from you." Koi said through clenched teeth.

"Now, that is not what your father said, Koi. Are you disobeying the orders of your father and chief? Do you not remember what happened to the last man who did such a thing?"

Koi glared at Apenimon as he grabbed Lucy's small hand and almost dragged her back to his hut.

"I don't like 'em, Koi." Lucy said, following Koi.

"Neither do I."