Chapter 31

"As Mother Earth called for the return of the sun, she called for the return of one of her eldest children. We, as her children, obey her and return her child to her." Koi stood over the deep hole in the earth that was to serve as his father's final resting place.

He stood tall in the hides and headdress designated for the chief with his face stoic. He shed not one tear for the man he once called his father. He looked to the tribesmen standing on the sides of the grave and watched as they lowered his father's wrapped body into the grave. The tribe members surrounded the men lowering the body, looking on in silence.

"He served a vital role as he stood on this earth and Mother Earth has realized that he has fulfilled his role to his people. We do not look at this moment as a time of sadness, but as a time of celebration. We celebrate his mark on us, his memories, his reign as chief, and his life. We shall not use this time to remember the ways he has wronged some, but the ways he has righted many."

Lucy looked up at Koi when he said those words, noticing how tight his voice had become. She knew talking about his father, the man he killed, in a positive light was a difficult task for him and she was proud of him for doing so. She looked back down at her baby boy that she had snugly wrapped in the quilt she made while she stayed with Boone and Cora. She smiled down at her precious son as he slept silently in her arms. He resembled Koi so much it was scary. She placed a soft kiss on his forehead, earning a content sigh from him.

Koi looked into the grave, watching his tribesmen fill it with dirt. He did feel a slight tightness in his chest, knowing that his father was dead. However, he felt relieved, knowing that his family was safe from him. He looked to his left, looking down at his beloved and their beautiful son. His heart swelled at the sight and a warm sensation washed over him.

He saw the death of his father as Mother Earth's way of allowing his son onto her land. Since his baby's birth the previous night, Koi had been thinking about names for his son. Looking at him in Lucy's arms and remembering all that has happened to them in the past year, he had decided on the perfect for his son and he would introduce him to tribe at his naming ceremony tomorrow night.

Once the grave was filled, the tribe members began to disperse to the huts. Shimasani hugged her son and headed to her hut to prepare for her grandson's naming ceremony. Koi turned to his lover and son, smiling down at them.

"You need to return to the hut and rest. You are still weak from childbirth." He stroked her hair, which was plaited in two braids.

"Come wit' me." She smiled up at him.

"Go on and I will be there soon."

She nodded and left him to his business. He watched her walk away before turning back to his father's grave.

"I cannot say I regret what I did, because I do not. But, I can say that I had hoped that you would change your thoughts on my family so that I did not have to do this to you. I hope your spirit is not ill fated, Father. Greet Apenimon for me." With those last words, he walked to his hut.

Upon entering, he saw Lucy laying on her side, asleep, as she held their baby, who was latched on to her breast and suckling with a fury. His hunger was like no other, which made Koi proud. He knew his son would grow up to be strong. He sat next to his sleeping beloved and child until he was done suckling.

When he finally detached himself from his mother's breast, Koi picked him up and wiped the milk from his mouth. He wrapped the baby in the quilt and took him into the forest. He held the baby to his chest as he ventured through the trees and brush of the forest. He stopped once he came to the creek and sat on the edge. He looked up at the star-scattered sky and then looked down at his sleeping son.

"Around us are spirits. The spirits of the land. The spirits of those who have returned to Mother Earth. The water, the trees, the sky, the sun, the stars, the animals, and the moon. They all have spirits. We have spirits. You are the joining of my spirit and the spirit of your mother. The spirit you have is a great and powerful one. It is powerful because of your mother,

"She is the strongest and bravest woman I know, yet she is so young. She escaped and evaded the cruelty of the white men, she protected herself against a horrid man, and she was able to protect herself from another horrid man. She did so much, and she did a lot of it while she carried you in her womb. Never did she give up. Never did she stop fighting. She was determined to bring you into this world, safely. She fought so hard for you. I fought for you, but she fought harder. You are strong because of her fight. That is the spirit that runs through you. You have the spirit of a true warrior. As you continue to grow up, your spirit will grow stronger and you will become a stronger warrior. This is why I will name you spirit warrior. This is why you will be known as Cheveyo."