Thirty-Seven

Thirty-Seven

"You're closing the store? Like, permanently?"

Dylan's empty nod provided me with the answer that I needed, but did not want to hear.

I stared at him in disbelief.

"I don't understand... The store does so great and everyone loves to read-"

"No Amber, you love to read. This place is practically empty ninety percent of the time."

"That's not true-"

"Really Amber?" His voice was raised now.

"Tell me how many children you see? Or adults? Or seniors? Count the number of people besides you and I that are standing in here to buy something."

I looked down at my shoes.

The room was empty; and without the furniture the room wandered with remains about what magic the store had once held.

Dylan took a deep breath, leaning up against the polished wooden shelf; loitered with covers bent and broken by time and curiosity.

"My parents said we just can't afford the rent anymore... I just-"

Dylan was looking away from me now; intending for me not to see the tears that were flooding his eyes that were already pooling with sadness.

"I'm so sorry...."

"Me too..."

I took his hand, squeezing it in mine, and tried to stop thinking about everything these walls held and everything I was losing as each bookshelf disappeared.

"Me too..."