Thirteen

Thirteen

Dylan gestured for me to keep following him and we made our way up the hills that were near my house. We didn't speak was we walked; only dodging the light of the streetlamps and moving at a quickened pace.

"Up here."

I continued walking behind him and he made his way up the hill and to the highest point. The grass blew gently in the cool breeze and I started wishing that I brought a coat.

Dylan laid back on the grass, staring up at the night sky. I followed his lead, laying back and directing my eyes towards the black heavens.

"I come up here for the stars." Dylan whispered.

"See there? That's Aries. And if you look over there-"

He moved his finger across the sky, like he was tracing a pattern through the glowing starlight.

"That's Hydrus."

I looked up at the constellations, taking in the beauty of the silence in the night and the simple glow of the stars up in the sky. I wasn't thinking at all about Tina, or Steven, or school, or anything else that had been bothering me. I was comforted by the light of the heavens.

"They're beautiful."

"Yeah."

We didn't talk anymore, just continued to stare up at the sky on top of the hill with the rolling grass. I think that Dylan understood my need for peace, and contributed to comforting me by letting me just soak in the silence instead of forcing conversation.

"You know, the stars are gorgeous, but it still doesn't explain why you were wearing that headband."

Dylan laughed.

"I did jog, I just come up here at the end before I start heading home."

Nodding, I leaned my head back down into the grass.

"Thanks for taking me up here Dylan."

"Anytime."